Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: This thread needs a recap...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=93963&mesg_id=94058
94058, RE: This thread needs a recap...
Posted by clumsyone, Wed Aug-01-07 09:08 AM
My main issue with teaching hip hop and why the teacher is so important is because popular media does not neccesarily give the true story (they raped breakdancing). I'd rather have the truth as ugly as it may be, then some made up fairy tale. I've been to Ken Swift's classes twice and listened to his story...it is completely different than what the media paints break dancing as. I've been to lectures by Kurtis Blow, etc. I have yet to meet other originators yet, but i feel like they have given me a better historical perspective. Also the fact of the matter is the class would still be bullshit because Hip hop has such a convoluted history. The stories conflict all over the place....as Ken Swift told me something to the effect like this (don't quote this...it isn't exact)

"Believe the similarities in the stories of the originators, but after that, it's all personal opinion due to exagerration, lies, bad memory. No one is really the absolute truth, you can call me crazy if you want"