Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectThe borrowed ideas to make Dirty Mind?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=82975&mesg_id=83051
83051, The borrowed ideas to make Dirty Mind?
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Mon Jul-09-07 12:59 PM
I often tell my brother that this is Prince at his best (imo). So I remember telling him the story of the jam sessions Prince and the band would have. And how through those jam sessions came a lot of the music, styles and funk of Dirty Mind. Prince would jam with the band for hours, and then he would go back in to the studio and play all of those party himself. Drums, keys, vocals, everything. When I told him that, he kinda scrunched up his face on some, "Well, he didn't do it. The band did."

So we discussed that for a while. I tried to tell him that the talent still lies in Prince, but he wasn't really hearing it. The whole "borrowed ideas" thing didn't work for him.

I've read Per Nilsen's DMSR, and it didn't bother me that Prince used riffs from the band. He went back and played the best ideas from the jam session which made a fantastic album. Is that so wrong? Ha ha ha. I don't know. Can we discuss this?

Does Dirty Mind get left out of "Top Prince" conversations due to this borrowed jam session theory? If that's the case, you could say the Parade is basically a Wendy & Lisa album. No?