Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectLed Zeppelin DVD
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=82260
82260, Led Zeppelin DVD
Posted by BigReg, Wed May-28-03 07:34 AM
Wow.

I thought it was gonna be Song Remains the Same part 2, but no way. This is just them at their best, excellent quality, pure hunger. Just a nice well thought package, Its up there as far as my music dvd's go with the NIN set and Portishead.
82261, RE: Led Zeppelin DVD
Posted by Monty Burns, Wed May-28-03 07:38 AM
Get the Live CD if you havent already. It is equally as impressive. Nothing beats Led Zeppelin at the top of their game IMO.
82262, RE: Led Zeppelin DVD
Posted by Anonymous, Wed May-28-03 09:25 AM
just copped it, haven't watched it yet...but damn...do I love some Led Zep! top 3 bands of all time IMO.
82263, Your gonna be blown away
Posted by BigReg, Wed May-28-03 09:52 AM
As far as live bands go, I can say with confidence that no one is fucking with them. Alot of the shit you see of them gets drowned in psychedlia and lights, here its just 4 guys, a drumset, guitar and bass. And they just own.
82264, i want to time travel...
Posted by m, Wed May-28-03 12:08 PM
>As far as live bands go, I can say with confidence that no one is fucking with them. Alot of the shit you see of them
>gets drowned in psychedlia and lights, here its just 4 guys, a drumset, guitar and bass. And they just own.

i haven't seen this set, but am wanting it now.

saw plant in seattle at the paramount and it's one of the top 5 concerts i've ever seen...

makes one wonder how they were in the early 70s...

sad that more acts can see these concerts and realize it's less about dancers/pyrotechnics/etc, and more about the music... the experience.

that's the mtv generation for you... :\
82265, Get it
Posted by johnbook, Wed May-28-03 01:28 PM
>i haven't seen this set, but am wanting it now.<

Went to Circuit City and got the DVD and 3CD set together for $30.

Immediately put on the DVD. FUCKING SICK. I tend to prefer them from 1968-1973, so seeing a 115 minute concert from 1970 at the Royal Albert Hall was just awesome. I like how in the press release for the DVD, Plant and Page have said that they did not seek the spotlight, they were an underground band that happened to get huge. They catered to TV in their first year but afterwards they said forget it. There was a mystique to the band because in a way, they helped create it. In truth, they wanted fans to enjoy the music.

When you see the Royal Albert Hall footage, it is amazing. Here are four guys, acting like some of the other "college bands" of the day like Pink Floyd. Just one spotlight, and they managed to create that much sound.

I have to sit through the entire DVD. Also pay attention to everything in the menu, for each click will take you to an excerpt of something, including:

1) A tape vault with loads of Led Zeppelin live recordings
2) Some great black & white footage of "Dazed And Confused"

Fortunately Jimmy Page has said that if this was a success, he would go back and do another DVD. Well, this shipped quadruple platinum.

---
I hope one day Pink Floyd will go back into their vaults and show fans some early concert footage, for outside of the Pompeii movie, everything else is of shitty quality.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

82266, RE: Get it
Posted by Monty Burns, Thu May-29-03 01:24 AM
>I hope one day Pink Floyd will go back into their vaults and
>show fans some early concert footage, for outside of the
>Pompeii movie, everything else is of shitty quality.

Supposedly Live at Pompeii is going to released on DVD this year. They have been working on it for awhile now.

82267, RE: Get it
Posted by johnbook, Thu May-29-03 07:59 AM
>Supposedly Live at Pompeii is going to released on DVD this
>year. They have been working on it for awhile now.

Well I have both versions on VHS so I'm not worry about that, but I mean the PBS work from 1970, some of the other footage that exists.

The fact that "Crystal Voyager" is finally out on DVD is just amazing in itself.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

82268, I need to pick this up
Posted by bassndaplace, Wed May-28-03 03:03 PM
I saw it last week in the wrecka sto but didn't have the loot - As soon as I get some extra mad money it's mine...

Does Bonham do a drum solo??
82269, Of course
Posted by johnbook, Wed May-28-03 09:30 PM
>Does Bonham do a drum solo??<

"Moby Dick" is on there.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

82270, RE: Of course
Posted by sfMatt, Wed May-28-03 09:56 PM
excellent
82271, Just finished watching Disc One
Posted by johnbook, Wed May-28-03 09:32 PM
Oh man! Top notch material, coming from the band in their prime.

Looking forward to watching Disc Two later today.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

82272, Immigrant song, and Dancing Days
Posted by Golem_3, Thu May-29-03 07:32 AM
my faves

~the end was yesturday~
82273, man...
Posted by antimatter, Thu May-29-03 09:10 AM
there goes more money spent...
82274, RE: Led Zeppelin DVD
Posted by Anonymous, Fri May-30-03 09:05 AM
still haven't had time to watch the dvd, but damn!!! that 3 disc album is incredible. why don't we have live shows like this to go to? LOL.
82275, quite elementary...
Posted by m, Fri May-30-03 09:08 AM
>why don't we have live shows like this to go to? LOL.

because this is the mtv programming/bet uncut generation...

look at the tamia threads, and you'll know why.

look at the lameass rap beef threads.

folks don't give a fuck about the music anymore.
82276, attention spans...
Posted by roamr1, Fri May-30-03 10:06 AM
are much shorter nowadays (wow, i sound like an old man). look at linkin park's latest album where no songs are over 5 minutes. i can't see people who grew up to this sitting through moby dick, as phenomenal as it is.
82277, true
Posted by johnbook, Fri May-30-03 10:14 AM
That's why the concept of a "jamband" is usually older people who remember how it was. I love Medeski Martin & Wood, great jazz, they go off playing 10 minute versions of "No Ke Ano Ahiahi", but the other bands in the so-called "Jamband" genre aren't to my liking. Nothing but Grateful Dead knockoffs.

Personally, the longer "Dazed And Confused" is, the better.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

82278, RE: quite elementary...
Posted by Anonymous, Fri May-30-03 03:25 PM
yea pal, i know why...it was a sarcastic question...notice the "LOL" at the end of it. but it's all good. LOL. the music scene today is a damn shame and this live cd is just one of many examples of how.
82279, Led Zeppelin DVD (review)
Posted by johnbook, Fri May-30-03 10:15 AM
http://www.john-book.com/reviews/dvd/ledzepdvd.htm

LED ZEPPELIN
DVD
(Atlantic R2-970198)

RATING: * * * * * (5 out of 5)

The one thing about being a Led Zeppelin fan is if the albums aren't enough, you could easily flock to the bootlegs, both audio and video. While bootleg Led Zep footage has been circulating around for years, most of it has been in bad quality. For years there had been rumors about Jimmy Page stepping into his vaults once and for all to release a home video for fans to enjoy. 23 years after the end of the band, that wish has finally come true, and what a present it is.

Despite the superhype the band gained during their existence and post-mortem, they insist that they were nothing more than an underground band who were fortunate and lucky. These days it's hard to think of Led Zeppelin as "alternative", but in an industry that was still pushing the likes of Richard Harris to the top of the charts, they were a band that made music for the younger, hipper crowd. This double DVD, compiling over five hours of footage, shows the band throughout their career, beginning with the 102 minute performance at the Royal Albert Hall in 1970. If you've ever wanted to see Led Zeppelin at their best, watch this. The band perform with nothing but two spotlights. They play as if they're still in a small club. They jam as if there was no curfew at the hall. They play like nothing else mattered in the world. To watch John Bonham play the drums, literally doing more with his right foot than most people do with five hands, is just amazing. The footage, filmed on 16mm cameras, had been filmed for a documentary and it has survived very well. The intensity created is not any special effects or theatrics, but in the music. Just watch John Paul Jones play his runs during "Dazed And Confused", and the feeling is huge. For anyone who has never branched out into the bootleg world, they might be amazed and shocked at how different these performances are to the well known recording on The Song Remains The Same. Led Zeppelin were known for their great live shows, changing things whenever it felt good. I love the look of Robert Plant's face when it seems he's about to walk off the stage, and Jimmy Page starts the riff for "Communication Breakdown". The version of "Whole Lotta Love" here is awesome too, but sadly we can't see Page do his thing on the theremin.

Jump to disc 2 and it begins with a brand new promo video for "Immigrant Song". The footage looks like something straight off of a super 8mm camera (probably was), and while the audio and video don't match up, it's still a powerful statement. We then get to see four new songs taken from the New York City concerts that became the source of The Song Remains The Same soundtrack and movie. According to a press release, they traced down the original negatives for the film and worked from that. The quality is just amazing, far removed from all the VHS pressings and even the current DVD of the movie. The colors are sharp, you can see things on stage and in Madison Square Garden that I don't remember seeing in the film. Because of the quality of the film itself, the digital fades from camera to camera are very impressive, especially in "Since I've Been Loving You". Hearing "The Ocean" live, and seeing Bonham sing background vocals, is just hard rock heaven.

Things move into the Earl's Court performance from 1975, with a nice acoustic set and a rocking performance of "Stairway To Heaven". But the DVD only gets better with the awesome Knebworth footage from 1979. This concert was billed as the band's return to the stage after being away for a few years. Disco and punk had taken over, and they were considered the dinosaurs. But they proved that they still had what it takes, Page playing like it was still 1968, Plant singing stronger than ever, Jones maintaining his cool, and Bonham pounding the skins with his tree trunk sticks. Watching this is bittersweet in many ways, because here is a band who proved they could pull it off eleven years after their start, and little did they know it would come to an end in less than a year with the passing of John Henry Bonham.

There are loads of extras, and take time to go through each page on the menu, for each section has a nice surprise. Worthy of a mention is the footage of "Dazed And Confused" live in Iceland, and a quick look into Jimmy Page's tape vaults, with each box cataloged by date.

The Song Remains The Same, through its dream sequences, helped create the myth of Led Zeppelin. But this double DVD brings them down to Earth for a brief moment, to show people that they were a small British band who loved to twist the blues, soul, and rock & roll in whatever configuration they wanted. However, they were a small band who took everybody out of the atmosphere and back each and every time. A wonderful job by Jimmy Page and everyone involved in the production of this DVD.

LENGTH: 5 Hours, 20 Minutes
AUDIO: PCM Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, DTS
VIDEO: 4x3, Color and black & white
EXTRAS: "Communication Breakdown" promo; Danmarks Radio TV appearance; Supershow appearance, Tour En Scene appearance; NYC Press Conference, Down Under; The Old Grey Whistle Test interview with Robert Plant; promotional videos for "Over The Hills And Far Away" and "Traveling Riverside Blues" created for the box set released in 1990

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

82280, you bastids...
Posted by m, Tue Jun-03-03 06:17 PM
well, i ordered this tonight... this and "chungking express"...

i probably wouldn't have, without the comments i read on this thread... so... thanks :P

sigh...

lol.