Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectdef jux is the....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=81876
81876, def jux is the....
Posted by nevabound the speaker, Thu Dec-26-02 05:13 AM
best label/crew/squad/clan out now. can anybody, including the okayplayer squad, compete with the talent spewing out of the definitive jux camp?? and who? please let me know so i can buy something else, please
81877, RE: def jux is the....
Posted by bennyb, Thu Dec-26-02 06:19 PM
the ROC can compete, jigga, beans, free - lyristists

kanye/just blaze on prod

compared to can ox, aes rock etc on lyrics

w/ rj,and el on prod

lets say it'd be a good fight
81878, hahhaha...
Posted by iLLoGiCz, Thu Dec-26-02 06:33 PM
best use of satire on any post i have ever read...

at first, i almost thought you were serious, then i really started to think about it..

ace rock and vast aire compared to beenie segal and jigga??
straight up comedy!
just blaze/kanye west compared to the producer (english translation) and rjd2??
even more comedy!

peace
liveiLL
81879, RE: hahhaha...
Posted by bennyb, Thu Dec-26-02 06:44 PM
lol
they'd compete

hah

but on the real, their aint many crews composed of producers and emcees ie def jux, the roc

a joke, yes
but the poster wanted to know who'd 'compete'
81880, I wouldn't dismiss Kanye or Just Blaze
Posted by Smoody, Fri Dec-27-02 12:14 PM
so quickly...They are very talented at making beats that are easy to listen to, groove to...

As sonically complex as El-P or RJD2 can get, I have yet to hear anything from either of them that indicates they would be competent at making a beat that would really move you (literally, I mean), let alone good at it

They stick to what they're good at and so do Blaze and Kanye
81881, RE: hahhaha...
Posted by Hitokiri, Fri Dec-27-02 08:25 PM
>(english translation) and rjd2??
pronounced "El PEE"(like LP) formerly El Producto

81882, El Producto does NOT mean the producer
Posted by spirit, Tue Dec-31-02 02:49 PM
>best use of satire on any post i have ever read...
>
>at first, i almost thought you were serious, then i really
>started to think about it..
>
>ace rock and vast aire compared to beenie segal and jigga??
>straight up comedy!
>just blaze/kanye west compared to the producer (english
>translation) and rjd2??
>even more comedy!

El Producto means "the product", as near as I remember. But I got C's in Spanish.

The online Spanish to English dictionary I found agrees though:

http://www.spanishdict.com/AS.cfm?e=producto

"El Producto" is the name of a brand of cigars, that's where I'm fairly sure El-P got the name from. He probably made blunts with them.

81883, i am guessing
Posted by Science_Fiction, Tue Dec-31-02 06:07 PM
that you're speaking with the typical underground-anti "mainstream" mentality that i've grown to despise so.

because anyone who has any kind of ear for music, or knows what a good producer is, will tell you that both just blaze and kanye are easily just as ill, or better than elp or rjd2.

the night sky is big enough for all the stars.
dont be close minded.
81884, folks, what we have here is a case of:
Posted by PROMO, Thu Jan-02-03 02:41 AM
'open backpack, insert foot'.
81885, RE: folks, what we have here is a case of:
Posted by bennyb, Mon Jan-06-03 06:35 PM
i love the ROC i just dont think its fair to compare them to def jux

the wu definately match up to def jux as do 'okayplayers' if u count that
81886, Wu-Tang Clan
Posted by thegift, Fri Dec-27-02 07:43 AM
Rza with the beats, with GZA, Ghostface, etc with the rhymes. You can "LOL" if you want but Wu-Tang would smash Def-Jux.
81887, RE: Wu-Tang Clan
Posted by jumanji3000, Sat Dec-28-02 05:04 PM
I was gonna say the Wu also. There is not one wack lyricist in that crew. RZA is one of the greatest producers ever and if you throw in Mathematics, Tru Master and Arabian Knight.......

*edit*

I'm not really a Def Jux fan though. I listened to I Phantom and Lif's constant ranting about his job, wife, lack of money, kids, getting laughed at in the club, etc. depressed the hell out of me. Since then I have decided to stay the hell away from Def Jux.
81888, RE: Wu-Tang Clan
Posted by dba_BAD, Sun Dec-29-02 12:38 PM
"There is not one wack lyricist in that crew."

Can you say U-God?
81889, HOLD UP.....
Posted by CB Sparr, Mon Dec-30-02 04:50 AM
you need to go cop Redemption. He is by far the most underated member. Also check out "Black Jesus" on Ghosts Ironman and then get back at me. Joints guaranteed to change your mind.

"drink drink drunk until I can't hack-it, until the little man falls of the horse on my Polo jacket"-J-Ro
81890, Def Jux owes their existence to the Wu
Posted by shephrd, Tue Dec-31-02 02:33 PM
Def Jux is cool, but the Wu kills them in every category imaginable.

...and El-P bit Rza's production.

--

"...mechanically reclaimed by autechre..."

81891, Stones Throw & Quannum Crews would rip them...
Posted by KAP2, Fri Dec-27-02 11:21 AM
Stones Throw
Production: Madlib, PB Wolf, Oh No, Egon...
MC's:Wildchild, Madlib, Oh No, Medaphoar, Declaime...

Quannum
Production:Shadow, Chief Xcel...
MC's:Gab, Lateef, Lyrics Born, Lifesavas

Edit to say that you'd get a better response in the lesson.
81892, RE: Stones Throw & Quannum Crews would rip them...
Posted by cereffusion, Sat Dec-28-02 11:46 AM
Stones Throw is nice...but their mc's cant come even close. Quannum's nice, and I dig everything they've put out - they aint no def jux.
81893, CO-SIGN!!!!!!!
Posted by CB Sparr, Mon Dec-30-02 04:54 AM
The Ozone camps gettin up there too.

"drink drink drunk until I can't hack-it, until the little man falls of the horse on my Polo jacket"-J-Ro
81894, Besides Cann Ox and Mr. Lif
Posted by Smoody, Fri Dec-27-02 12:10 PM
nobody I have heard on Def Jux is really making me believe what you are saying.

Aesop Rock I think is very talented also but he makes my head hurt after a while of continous listening. El-P I liked better in the context of Company Flow, although I admit I have not heard too much of Fantastic Damage.

There are people who feel just as passionately about the Wu that could make an argument against Def Jux.
81895, u had the nerve to include "clan"
Posted by UncleClimax, Fri Dec-27-02 03:53 PM
in the category, and then no one mentions wu-tang? judging from how u said crew/clan/label etc, this obviously isnt limited to those that are all one label, or is it? anyway..wu tang is up there, dont forget about em...
81896, heiroglyphics...
Posted by century89, Sat Dec-28-02 02:17 AM
yeah!

---------------------------------------
"This mathematical rhythmatical mechanism enhances my wisdom
Prodigal Sunn of Islam, keeps me calm
from doing you harm, when I attack, it's Vietnam
Through CD-ROM, the mega bomb severs the ice in your charm
Too late for Salaam, slugs rip through your arm
Double lead arm supreme head some fled from the bloodshed
Painting many in red, leavin Iranians dead
Chief Indian Head , hangin fast on they deathbed
Out the window, lyrics flow like hot chemicals
Burning competitors, from they ears to they asshole
You wanna battle, I seperate your Adam's Apple
Crack your skully with a Snapple bottle, on the Apollo
Can you read black, ease back, we bleed tracks
Breeze through facts, contacts smack your wolfpack"
- Collaboration '98

"That's what I love about high school girls...I keep getting older, they stay the same age." - Wooderson

"fucking...what the fucking fuck? who the fuck, fucked this fucking...how did you two fucking fucks...FUCK!!" - The Funny Man

81897, Fo Sho!
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Sun Dec-29-02 09:46 AM
Tajai, Opio, A-Plus, Phesto, Del, Pep Love, Casual, and Domino. U really can't fuck with that.
81898, co sign
Posted by KingKahn, Sun Dec-29-02 09:23 PM
heiro would give 'em a run... i'd say they got the edge lyrically but lp and rjd2 got domino beat behind the boards.
81899, Project Blowed
Posted by Archaic, Sat Dec-28-02 03:38 PM
"Remember me? The one you got your idea from"

Freestyle Fellowship
Aceyalone
Mikah 9
Self Jupiter
P.E.A.C.E.
Abstract Tribe Unique
Fat Jack
OD
Awol One
Of Mexican Descent
Chillin Villain Empire
Tray Loc
Badstads
Rifleman
Hip Hop Kclan
Otherwize
Volume 10
Ganjah K
Brothers Manifesto
Trend
Darkleaf
Global Phlowtations
Medusa
Phoenix Orion
Jizzm
Busdriver
and so on...

Folks have been doing it for over 10 years going back to the Goodlife days and fools still want to treat them like new jacks. Fact remains that they would serve anyone in Def Jux (or any crew out there for that matter) any day of the week.

81900, Woah, calm down now.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Sun Dec-29-02 09:51 AM
They are nice, but not all of them are nice. I wouldn't even consider them a crew to tell you the truth. They are more like a group of niggas with the same sound but not the same label much like the Native Tongues. Most of them cats you listed just babble and don't make sense.
81901, Thanks for the insight there, potna.
Posted by Archaic, Sun Dec-29-02 07:03 PM
>They are nice, but not all of them are nice.

Fair enough.

>I wouldn't
>even consider them a crew to tell you the truth.

How are they not a crew? Everyone I mentioned is part of Project Blowed, meaning that they all meet up on Thursday nights for open mics at Project Blowed (used to be the Goodlife). They've also all been part of crew releases such as "Project Blowed", "Beneath the Surface", "Cater to the Deejay", etc. You ever heard of a track called "Heavyweights"? There's 4 of them, with the participation of about 20 emcees spanning 8 years. Opinion is one thing, but don't even try to distort facts.

>They are
>more like a group of niggas with the same sound but not the
>same label much like the Native Tongues. Most of them cats
>you listed just babble and don't make sense.

10 years of music from 100's of artists, and you've got it all reduced to "babble and don't make sense"?

You are a fool.

81902, Are you on the Official Project Blowed Net/Street Team?
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Wed Jan-01-03 05:28 AM
Just wondering because you defend them pretty hard like you have stock in the muthafuckas. Freestyle Fellowship are legends. Abstract Rude is that nigga. Medusa and 2Mex are straight. But damn bitch, be easy. And yes I have listend to Heavyweights 1 and 4 i believe. And each song would've of been better if it was 3 to 4 minutes shorter and without all the other bullshit mcs. If Project Blowed is indeed a crew they have too many weak links to be considered great. There production is only okay, its nothing exceptional. If you post about Project Blowed every fucking week and no one has yet to align themselves with your dickriding stance. Wouldn't that tell you something? You can't force feed props. Your only one dickrider, albeit a tenacious dickrider who exhibits great perserverance. But let the whole Project Blowed thing die already. And don't think of me as insulting you either. In a way I have given you a New Year's Resolution, "No More Project Blowed Posts". So your welcome.
81903, 2 questions and a comment:
Posted by Archaic, Fri Jan-03-03 12:22 AM
Has Project Blowed actually closed up shop yet? Then why the fuck should I stop talking about it?

And damn, how I hate a fool who uses the term "dickrider".

81904, *takes a shit in everybodys backpack*
Posted by SeV, Mon Dec-30-02 11:23 AM
i am a sig virus.put me in your sig so i can replicate.

its like carrying a giant gun and having a giant cock on payday. (c)tapeworms cocaine endorsement
81905, i agree and dont agree
Posted by B9, Mon Dec-30-02 12:01 PM
their nice, but not "the best ever". too early yet to tell. they still have a relativley low volume of work compared to clouded, rhymesayers or ff peoples. sure, the big 5's albums were all solid (Lif's was dissapointing), but i dont think they've put out enough quality standalone singles to deem them so far above the rest. When Vast's solo drops, they'll have the crown as the best LP collective, but hiphop is much more 12" driven than they focus on.
and i'm starting to pick up on a slightly disgusting selfabsorbed nature to El-p: not an accapela yet for an elp produced single. odd.
81906, Okayplayer has a squad?
Posted by Lunchboxxx, Mon Dec-30-02 12:37 PM
When the "fuck" did this happen? *looks for memo while cursing"

Lunchbox tha Narcoleptic©
The Album..
Nuerology Sessions

click
to available now for order.

Lunchbox tha Narcoleptic presents.....
Omni: "The First Offering"
Lunchbox tha Narcoleptic
Ginseng
Warlock
Xcaliber
Divine Versatile
Fathom 9
Die Hard
Izno
Ralph FLeezy
T1000
Obsidian Blue

coming soon.

Death to Smoochie "and" Anthea.
81907, RE: def jux is the....
Posted by application, Mon Dec-30-02 03:34 PM
I think alot of the crews that people have been mentioning have the Potential to be better then Def Jux don't really live up to it.

Take Wu-Tang for example, if they were operating at the 36 chambers level (or even the "Forever" level), the would eat Def Jux. But even the most hardcore Wu-Tang fan admits their recent releases have just not been up to par. And if you include the extended fam, they just lack the consistency of Def Jux

With Hiero you have the same situation, During the '93 to Infinity era and Del's first two albums they were much iller than Def Jux. I would even argue that Third Eye Vision is much better than any of the Def Jux Presents albums. But their more recent releases have lacked the quality and innovation of recent Def Jux releases. I think even Hiero fans would admit this.

This follows again with Project Blowed. If you're talking the Project Blowed that is represented by Freestyle Fellowship's first two albums and the compilation than it's no contest. But take Freestyle Fellowship's last album into account, that was a joke. Phoenix Orion is a great comedy act but a pitiful lyricist. Bus Driver has put down incredible freestyles but apperantly does not understand that there exists a such thing as "song structure."

Project Blowed also has the problem of consistency within the crew. Aceyalone and Abstract Rude are brilliant but Pheonix Orion and some of the lesser Blowdians are just annoying. The same follows for Roc-A-Fella. Just Blaze/Kanye West are great producers and if every emcee was operating on the same level Jay-Z was then it would be no contest. But they have Cam'ron and Memphis Bleek in the crew.

I guess that's the best argument for Def Jux is that there aren't really weak links in the crew. Quanuum and Okayplayer (not really a crew) are still giving Def Jux a run for their money however.
81908, Phoenix Orion
Posted by Archaic, Tue Dec-31-02 10:52 AM
I like the man. Yeah, at times he can sound like an Ellay Khule rip-off, but overall he holds his own.

For instance:

Alien Nation "Electric Lady" 12" - came out in 94 with production by Fat Jack, very nice.

Alien Nation "Beneath the Surface" - from the comp of the same name, cool Native American sounds.

Phoenix Orion "Zimultaed Experiencez" LP - very underrated, I especially like "New Style Lazer".

Alien Nation "Return to Cybertron" 12" - not only is the title track with Naptron and SuperNatural tight, but so is Phoenix Orion's solo joint on the b-side titled "Unicron".

Phoenix Orion "Disturbance in the Force" 12" - nice Star Wars themed track.

Phoenix Orion "How Many?" - from Fat Jack's "Cater to the Deejay", another good one.

Phoenix Orion and Team Eloheem "Microphone Chakrastones" 12" - how could you not like this one?

and lastly,

Alien Nation "Mysterious" - from DJ Hive's "hip Hop 2023" mixtape, freaking incredible.

81909, RE: def jux is the....
Posted by nevabound the speaker, Thu Jan-02-03 11:58 PM
peace,
ryan

as in ryan from pitchfork?? and good job with the post.. i'm speaking of consistency at the moment, not the greastet of all time
81910, 3rd Earth
Posted by Science_Fiction, Tue Dec-31-02 06:03 PM
Aceyalone
Jean Grae
the Juggaknots
Mr Len
the Masterminds
Pumpkin Head
Subconcious
Science Fiction

...to only name a few.
watch. this is our year.
81911, RE: 3rd Earth
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Wed Jan-01-03 05:10 AM
don't forget Oddjobs
81912, RE: 3rd Earth
Posted by mahlich, Wed Jan-01-03 01:58 PM
>Science Fiction
>
>...to only name a few.
>watch. this is our year.

so u did get signed to 3rd earth??
81913, umm...
Posted by acidtabs, Wed Jan-01-03 07:57 AM
>best label/crew/squad/clan out now. can anybody, including
>the okayplayer squad, compete with the talent spewing out of
>the definitive jux camp??

mc's: Thought, Kweli, Common, Evidence, Rakaa, Evidence, Hi-Tek
boards: ?uest, Hi-Tek, Evidence, Babu

u dug your own grave.
81914, forgot Scratch
Posted by acidtabs, Wed Jan-01-03 07:58 AM
on production also.
81915, you think so?
Posted by KingKahn, Mon Jan-06-03 02:54 PM
really? it's a thought, but at this point in time, i don't think okayplayer's mc's are at the same level as Def Jux, and RJ and El-P are arguably two of, if not the best producers in hip hop. If it was 94-98 though, different story completely.
81916, Eastern Conference
Posted by olayinka, Wed Jan-01-03 03:32 PM
lyricist like Copywrite, cage , High & mighty, Tame-one

and production by Mighty mi and Camu-tao

How could you go wrong?
81917, they dont measure up
Posted by cereffusion, Thu Jan-02-03 01:13 AM
its quality across the board.

Plus half of copy's album is produced by RJD2 anyways.

and EC and DefJux are like related crews anyways. (camu tao's 12" on def jux, weathermen, RJD2 started w/them)
81918, RE: def jux is the....
Posted by choui_choui, Mon Jan-06-03 12:10 PM
well if u mofos like these def jux cats than hear their shit on bigdada.com (beauty party, with gorgeous seminude poet liza jesse peterson on the cover) and post ur reviews here.
81919, RE: def jux is the....
Posted by choui_choui, Mon Jan-06-03 12:16 PM
gorgeous. seminude. that's hiphop mo fo. now post
81920, Living Legends...
Posted by auralbliss, Mon Jan-06-03 09:57 PM
mystik journeymen, the grouch, eligh, scarab, bicasso, and asop, with murs sitting this one out, due to him being on both rosters.
81921, Seven Heads
Posted by Allah, Tue Jan-07-03 09:58 AM
act like you know, SUCKA!
http://www.sevenheads.com