Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectOkay.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=76162&mesg_id=76227
76227, Okay.
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Mar-08-07 01:02 PM
>this is your window of opporunity into our shit..
>not the other way around.

By 'this' I'm assuming you mean 'blues' as opposed to 'this thread on OKP.'

I may be wrong about that.

But yes, blues and old/traditional music in general is a window to history, both good and bad, and that is part of the appeal.

>White people are not complex.

Depends on the white person.

>Bottom line poor people
>anywhere, any color have the same issues.

Sure.

>Perhaps you should
>LIVE with the people you study...

Well, considering that the type of blues I enjoy the most is not really practiced anywhere as a living musical culture, that would be difficult in this case.

On a musically unrelated note, I did spend 4 years in Japan while I was learning taiko. Just mentioning that as a way of saying the concept is far from alien to me.

>when I want to know how to
>play a jug, I'll holla.

I'll be glad to help.

>Cause no matter how hard you try, you'll never have the power
>to seperate the struggle from the people..

Once again, I've no intention of trying such a thing.

>whether a jug band, 2live crew, PE, or Living Colour... this
>is white america. PERIOD.

Which is why I said below that IF your thinking on hip hop is consistent on your thinking with blues, then you would argue that all hip hop is also pro-Black conscious music.

Apparently you missed the conditional since you responded below that you hadn't said that.

But now you pretty much have.

Overall, even though I disagree with it I can work with you feeling like you're better versed to judge music because you're a musician (though we have nothing to go on for that except your word; I'm a trusting sort.) I can work with you discounting my opinion off the bat because I'm white.

But I can't work with you feeling as though you're entitled to comment on music you have never listened to. Considering various statements you've made ('blues was our only voice;' questioning why the CIA wasn't mentioned in 'Cocaine Habit Blues,' questioning the actual existence of non-blues/jazz forms of Black expression in the 1920s and 1930s) etc., it's pretty clear that you're not familiar with music of this era (outside of Robert Johnson), and that you don't feel that you need to be in order to voice any opinions on it.

And aside from how it afects the discussion, I think it's a shame because the music is great.

So I've said about all I can say. Thanks for the convo.