Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectstill haven't heard E.1999 (& WAY MORE...)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=69113&mesg_id=69179
69179, still haven't heard E.1999 (& WAY MORE...)
Posted by Caveman23, Sun Dec-24-06 06:13 PM
I started listening round 94 or something,--but I pretty much STRICTLY listened ta the newest shit, I just FLAT REFUSED ta spend time nor money bothering ta check dated shit till helllllllaaaaa years later. I mean, I STRICTLY wanted the fresh shit y'know, & only had that little bit of lunch money,--if it'd been out for a year then it was old news & I'd missed the boat & was fine with that. & If it wasn't being buzzed about round my circle (Bay Area gangsta shit) then that got missed too... I Remember hearing Method Man for the first time on Spice-1's tape,--previous ta that it didn't really matter what a Wu-Tang was,--hardly any East coast shit for that matter.

It was a loooong time before I could really afford try that 'hiphop historian' gig on.

& by that time certain albums I'd randomly have built up a slight grudge against simply for not having heard them that late into it. Because I like being early to things,--if I'd missed the boat for toooo long then I'll just start developing a grudge against it.

So, without further ado here is a list of acouple things that I can at least REMEMBER that are still on my list ta yet ta hear but by now I'm kinda dis-interested in because it's been so long:

•still haven't heard E.1999 even though Creepin On A Come Up was my FIRST full-out-favorite tape ever. & E.1999 is supposebly their best but somehow I've never gotten around to it.

•haven't heard much Pac all the way front to back besides "Me Against The World" & "Makaveli",--especially not the early stuff.

•the ONLY Public Enemy album I've heard thru was that trash ass "He Got Game Soundtrack" by accident LOL!! but that's just cuz I don't like them. I guess it's wrong ta say I don't like them if I haven't heard enough, but Chuck's rap style is wild annoying, plus their sound is too chaotic & bland at the same time some how.

•Still haven't heard ANY Cube albums front to back besides the Bootlegs & B-Sides collection album because I bought it for a friend's birthday & he played it. I respect Cube a bit, but somehow think he'll dissapoint me on a 'whole-album-listen'.
NWA for that matter past the Greatest Hits album even though that's one my favorite tapes ever...

•Low End Theory is the only Tribe I've heard front to back, & don't really like it that much, ALTHOUGH I HAVE HEARD a decent chunk of Midnight Marauders on a roadtrip & really liked what I heard but never felt pulled enough ta get it in my hands...

•Jungle Brothers 3 earlier albums all still sitting in a folder somewhere on my computer & haven't ever checked em. But, my sister from NY kept tryngta get me ta listen ta them back in 93 & I never actually did so when that comebackish 'Raw Deluxe' album came out hella years later then I bought that & kinda liked it for a little while. but still never actually went back past that.--actually guess what,--I'm finally listening ta 'Straight Out The Jungle' right now because of this post =)

•Still hadn't listened ta ILLmatic all the way through,--or at least FULLY APPRECIATED & payed attention--till I downloaded the Ten Year Remaster in 2004...

•still no 'Ressurrection' or 'Can I Borrow A Dollar'... I've meant to remedy 'Ressurrection' for years & fully intend ta sumday, because one my old friend's used ta play it all the way through the very first day of every summer every year, & that always sounded like a fly thing ta do...

•still not very much whole albums from the 80's in general because I honestly DON'T LIKE MUCH OF THAT RAPPING STYLE NOR PRODUCTION VALUE. I like certain tracks by certain cats: Melle Mel, Rakim, Schooly D, & silly as they may seem: Eazy-E & Rob Base. I know, I know, but really that's basically the cream of the mostly crap 80's voices/deliveries that I really felt... & Even them aren't worth listening past the really great tracks far as I'm concerned. definitely not 'album' type artists, y'know??? So I could list a huge list of so-called classic late 80's LPs that I've never heard in full & don't really plan ta unless I get stuck somewhere extra bored nothing to do...