Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectWhy???????
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=32468&mesg_id=32494
32494, Why???????
Posted by mathmagic, Mon Oct-15-01 11:24 AM
>
>- is not with blackalicious
>- is not with aceyalone and
>project blowed
>- is not with binary star/mad
>lib/

Why the hell not? what's wrong with any of these groups? I'm not too familiar with Project Blowed but the future of hiphop definitely includes Madlib and Blackalicious and I'm glad. Those are names that I trust for good ol' quality hiphop.

>
>- please don't let it be
>the gorillaz or deltron
>

Don't worry, it won't be. There's nothing at all wrong with a good concept album every once in a while.

>- I'm afraid it might be
>them anticon kids. Imagine
>that hip hop events where
>dancing is frowned upon

Don't know about them. I appreciate the zealousness of some of the more hardcore cracker-oriented hiphop, but they don't know the whole story, so while there's certainly room for groups like this, i wouldn't necessarily want to see hiphop in the hands of groups like this. They may do as much harm as good.

>
>- I pray that it's not
>Lil zane, ja rule, dmx
>or jay z, fabolous, free
>way - reincarnations of biggie
>and Pac

hiphop starts and ends here if you let corporate fuckville tell it.

>
>- If there is a God
>it won't be fusion -
>with jazz, electronica, rock and
>roll, D&B...

Why not? Hiphop is being fused well with Jazz (Roots, Madlib, Guru) rock (Outkast, Qtip?) and other genres. I see nothing wrong with it as long as its done well and the essence of hiphop isn't completely tossed out.

>
>But what does that leave?

Me.
>
>k. orr

---------------------------------------
RAP IS SOMETHING YOU DO. HIP-HOP IS SOMETHING YOU LIVE.

"The principles of true hip-hop have been forsaken, it's all contractual and about money makin'" - Black Thought.

"Ay yo Pharoah! Why don't you explain: How did Hip-Hop get caught up in this ill rap game?" - Prince Poetry

"I'm the assassinator of Rap" - Pharoah Monche.

"Rap is business music, Hip-Hop is cultural music" - Busta Rhymes

"...Even up the ratio of Hip-Hop to that shit they playin on the radio." - Talib Kweli

"Let's say I use my gift of gab to boast and brag in every rhyme I
compose. won't y'all get sick of that, cause I know I do when I hear those flows. That ain't hip-hop, you find that shit in the gift shop. But to each his own, my speech is gon', keep that shit up outta my zone." Andre 3000