Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectexactly
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=32261&mesg_id=32310
32310, exactly
Posted by dafriquan, Tue Oct-23-01 04:03 AM
One of my really good friends constantly disses my tastes as too"organic." He consciously stays away from anything that looks or sounds like Erykah Badu. He hates shows where they use live instruments. He thinks Afroman made a good song but I'm just too organic to appreciate it because I said it was a stupid song that was only funny the first time.
let's face it...the average listener today is musically unadventorous. The only producer who can take them out of their village is Timbaland and even then he better have a catchy chorus or they're not coming for the journey.
And we have a whole new generation coming up that was raised on Jah Rule and The Hot Boys and lyrics like "Players they wanna play and ballers they wanna ball..." They love this shit.
At it's most primitive state, music was supposed to make the cave dwellers shake thier asses or scare the animals way. jah rule manages to do both so why should I hate his rodent looking ass?
I use music for much more than that but I believe you can't force "better" music on people. For the most part, it's still a business and Trackmasters probably have better cribs than your "eight bar and then bridge and then key change" producer.

SIGNATURE STARTS YONDER
"I'm not looking...forward to seeing
him"- Snoop on Suge's release.
understatement of the year :-)
:-)NE LOVE/N:-(LOVE
(THE C:PHICE IS Y:9URS)
The emoticon as 'O' symbol is a
registered trademark of dafriquan.
No biting without written permission.