Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectPrince did corny stuff in 80s
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=32062&mesg_id=32143
32143, Prince did corny stuff in 80s
Posted by jefleejohnson, Fri Oct-26-01 10:25 AM

Im done with the 80s The period is ovah and Im glad its over. Theres great songs there but "IT" was corny "IT" was put on a record instead of "Old friends for Sale"

IT is Shit.

Who cares about the rapping?

Tony M was like Vanity she popped up everyonce in a while but you dealt with her.

He is only on 3 spots on Symbol album.

Song sequence on symbol album is devastating.
except for 1 or 2 songs "Blue Light" and another one.

and TGE and Undertaker and Exodus ...all important records.

I like the 80s records but I dont want them over again.

I listened to them I enjoyed them but as I said

my new 2 words for the year of TRC is

LISTEN
AGAIN

THIS is princes if not one of his best works and if somebody throws to me "yea but some moments are corny"
Well...I can go to SOTT and find corny moments
"IT" for one... I can find corny moments on all of Princes records thats part of his personality. His overfascination with Sex to extreme levels to the point of "Give me a break I get the idea"

and with that I say

LISTEN AGAIN......

TRC is a cyclic record.

92-Symbol Album
95-TGE,Exodus
96=Disc 2
98-The Truth(even though it was packaged it was a era statement)
2001-TRC

Rave and NPS? Mostly Accessible drumloop EarCandy trying to get Daly on MTV to say "Dis Record is da BOOOOMB check out the new video HOT WITH U its off the hook"

Whether you want to admit it or not or like it or not it is.

Its a INNOVATIVE era marker. RECOGNIZE...

and yes its as good as anything as Prince did in the 80s

And this is Princes most edgy record to date when the press hears this you are gonna see waht I mean.

Religious organizations could go after Prince because its all over this record its not anymore "LA LA GOD IS LOVE" no its not that its a whole friggin record of messages on spiritual beliefs not encoded with the tag of "Sex me sex me not"

As far as being innovative. Show me a band (Whether its John Blackwell,Horn Section and Just Prince that is still a band)or a record that sounds like TRC. It has never been done before . Innovative is defined as to create something new or partly new. Thats what Prince did. Innovative doesnt mean whether you or Uncle Sal (who wears his Sign O the Times glasses and rides a custom made purple rain Cycle) like it and gives it the approval. Who gives a f what Uncle Sal thinks? IT means something partly new. THAT is what this is. Prince has never done a record that sounds like this. Hence the TERM I-N-N-O-V-A-T-I-V-E

If somebody is gonna throw Lovesexy or whatever record you want there are moments on that record that are JUST as corny. "Glam Slam" give me a break... \

TRC is it...

If a Prince uses a toliet flush as background percussion on the next record with Larry saying "PREACH BABY BROTHA" Thats innovative Innovative has nothing to DO whether you like it or not.
It can be wack as hell and still be innovative.
But as for me TRC is innovative and funky as F$^$

And it has a one minute interlude to die for. "Wedding Feast"

Even if I didnt like this record I would still say it is something new or Innovative. But lucky for me that isnt the case.

Wheel of Fortune

T _ _ IS I_ _ _ _ _ _ _ E

np:Jef Lee Johnson-Hype Factory

Jef L. Johnson-Hype Factory(2cd new solo!)out now!

Jef Johnson/SonnyT/MichaelB-October 2001

Ghostface Killah-Nov 2001

Jaguar-Nov 2001??

Prince-Rainbow Children Nov 2001

Dungeon Fam-Nov 2001

Jill Scott live album-Nov 2001

Wu tang-Dec 2001

Ras Kass-2001

Foley-Time:Clock of Da Universe (it comes out when it drops gonna stay in my sig til now. just check http://www.smartalecmusic.com for now.
One of the best original designed sites out. He is the CEO you know of Smart Alec Music. Bugs Bunny is the Vice Prez and Marvin The martian is in charge of A&R while Yosemite Sam handles the southwest division of Smart Alec. Daffy Duck and Foghorn Leghorn are leaders of the street team. Its a family thang.

Tonex-Oxygen (early 2002! yea I know September has been moved doh

a comment from RhemaK a artist who works with Tonex about Oxygen: I have heard five songs from Tonex's 'Oxygen'album that is going to be coming out next year. The lyrics and that beats are going to take you over the edge and out of your car seat. That is what it did to me. The proof is in the pudding. You will see 2002. 'Oxygen is no joke' "

as usual all hip hop albums subject to change.