Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: But I TRIED to like them...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=31752&mesg_id=31788
31788, RE: But I TRIED to like them...
Posted by Remedial, Thu Oct-25-01 07:34 AM
I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought that Mary's new stuff was trash. First time I heard Family Affair, I was like, what is this Cottonelle type stuff I'm hearing here. Over time the beat has grown on me but the lyrics are still butt. And let's not get into the rest of the stuff on the album. Anyway, to all those doubting Jill, it's kind of hard for me to fathom, because I appreciate her music so much, but to each his own. But, just give it one more try. Tip: Appreciate Jill for who she is, without comparing her to Badu.

My List of Those Unable to Convert Me to the Darkside:

1. Jazzies (Don't know if it was just their lyrics or Scott Storch's so-so production that turned me off, but the only song I'm feeling is Unconventional Ways, and that actually is one of my favorite songs. So obviously, they have it in them. A therapy group probably needs to be created for them and Nas.)

2. Most underground stuff, i.e., Co Flow, Cannibal Ox, Deltron, anything Prince Paul or Automator affilitated, etc. (This stuff just seems to convoluted and precocious. In other words, trying to hard to be different and also seem intelligent.)

3. Prince (I bought the Hits basically on the strength of I Would Die 4 U, and I was highly disappointed. I mean, some of the stuff is cool, such as Pink Cashmere and Diamond and Pearls, but the rest of it just sounds like a 15-year old having too much fun with a synthesizer and his father's guitar. Just too electronic for me. I rather a more organic feel, maybe similar to Voodoo. With all the D'Angelo comparisons to Prince, I was expecting something similar to the vibe on Voodoo, but was quick to be taught better.)

4. Most of Jefflee's recommendations. Now, don't get me wrong, I respect him as a person who has a plethora of musical knowledge, but some of the stuff he suggests is just anti-enjoyable to sometimes cheesy. Like seriously, Tonex is not cutting it. Cat sounds like any old Timbaland impersonation.

5. And, to cut my list short: Alicia Keys. When I first heard her song on the Shaft soundtrack and then Girlfriend, I was hyped. On Girlfriend, she did R&B/hip hop justice. Many other singers just can't blend to a hip hop track. Alicia actually seemed to mesh perfectly with ODB's jacked track, courtesy of JD, Mr. " I don't know why no one gives props to my no talented ass." Heard Falling, and was basically convinced she was our next heroine. Heard the album in totality, and quickly learned the pitfalls of a quick tongue. Now, don't get me wrong, her music doesn't suck, but it is totally uninspired demo material. She really needed to hire some outside producers and writers.

Look how far El Dorados and wine bottles drug us /Least God and the sun love us - Common

So many ways out the hood but no signs say out- Nas