Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectthe smartest backpacker
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=31269&mesg_id=31269
31269, the smartest backpacker
Posted by qoolquest, Sun Nov-25-01 08:56 PM
i moved this post to the lesson only because the subject matter i'm about to raise will probably turn this post into an extra 100 replies. and it's subject is more about a topic on jay---as opposed to the jay post in the okayartist board---

well i was gonna save my last 13 day experience for a superupdate tommorow. but i'd figure i'd talk a lil here.

but jay was hogging the computer.

my dream is to see black artists more aware of the power of the internet. most laugh (kelis), some are scurred (erykah), some don't have a clue (wu), some are aware (chuck d), some have made a profit (prince).....but most still sleep.

i never intended for him to see the site (i think benzino post caught his eye) but once he was ignoring the mix to see what y'all had to say i think he got more intrigued.

and wasn't mad at all at the dissing posts either (we did a search).

sometimes when you are separated from...well separated from some sort of focus group besides your boys it's hard to really know people's honest opinion of you. i mean, some of the charges are downright mean, some are heartfelt, some are over the top....but at least you have a feel for what's going on. he couldn't turn away from the posts. i know that pos and dave are here all the time. just in disguise as not to get the wrong reaction from people.

i asked him how involved is he with his website....

he smells bait....and don't think for a minute that i wouldn't ask him to be an okayartist. personally i was looking for someone that wouldn't meet approval to the vast majority. but at the end of the day, he is a more than capable craftsman. and i think the controversy is good. (before you cry sellout, i said nothing of charging folks to come here)

but that wasn't my point.

at the end of the day i just wanna say that (not that i ever had a negative opinion...well...--okay i never liked the music to "lucky me") i/we could have never been more wrong about an individual. jay is one of the coolest mofo's i've met in a sec. com confirmed this to me 5 years ago when jay and him did some dates in europe sometime back.

and he's the smartest backpacker i know.

yes...he's a backpacker. just a lil smarter in crossing to their side of the fence.

his favorite mc's are emcees that don't have triangles next to their name in billboard.

his whole positioning on "takeover" he insists was not out of spite, but to infuse the good ole battles of old with hip hop. i can't argue with that since i still utter that roxanne shante is only good for steady fuckin everytime i see bdp.

---sorry y'all (don't want to erase post) i'll save the rest for an update (we are still stuck on "takeover" and i have to master at 10am....so i might have to wait til the middle of the week to finish update.

i have more to type.....but i am needed at board again, and i don't want to retype this post so imma just send now and countinue lata man.

if i ever went solo, my favorite drummer would be me bragging sig:

"How great are the Roots live? Their drummer.oh my god, he's such a great
drummer. He's so good. So good! Such a great drummer. Is he one of those
musicians that knows how to play everything? He's such a great drummer. I
love them."
-james king