Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectad nauseum
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=30950&mesg_id=30985
30985, ad nauseum
Posted by Stopheles, Fri Nov-30-01 11:54 AM
SoWhat:

Not trying to defend my making the music I make and love. I don't think it needs to be defended, and was trying to convey that. But go ahead and slap me if it looks like I'm just being self-deprecating, awright?

Marbles:

Elvis Presley was charting on the "Black" charts and playing in the Black crowds; fans and DJs were calling him "the Hillbilly Cat" which is sorta the 50s equivalent of going by "White Dogg"... before he went to Hollywood and the Army and started to suck like a hooker in Bridgeport, CT. By that point, however, the label was pushing him more as a teenybopper thing ala Pat (motherfucker) Boone, and his sound moved further from the music of his hometown and more into cheesedick ballads and such.

I'm not a big fan of his mucis, especially when he whitened it up. But again, I give more props to him covering "Mystery Train" or "Milkcow Blues" than I do to Mick Jagger singing in a Southern Black patois about how some "Brown Sugar" girl tastes "just like a Black girl should"...