Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: wait..............................................nope.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=175277&mesg_id=175385
175385, RE: wait..............................................nope.
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Wed Jan-11-12 11:46 PM
>I say thank you to James Brown for his musical contributions,
>of course. My Black manhood, on the other hand, came from
>another place. I was never a slave to begin with and neither
>was my father before me

Nigeria was colonized into the 1960's I believe wasn't it?? Living under colonial rule into modern times ...and even the psuedo-"independence" that followed in some African countries was as detrimental to Black people as was slavery. And you see that in the treatment of Africans against Africans that followed colonial rule in those contries even up to today....

When evil is your model of how to treat yourself...your brother...or how to govern yourself, you see Black people who do not respect themselves...their brothers and sisters ...nor how to rule and navigate their own environment...

A man like James Brown ....a decendant of slaves who was able to accomplish what he accomplished and represent BLACK Manhood (you mentioned you didn't need anyone to tell you that you were a man....being a man is different than being a Black man..) was very powerful..and it reached out to Black people throughout the world...

so I didn't really need James to
>teach me that I am a man.

Lemme ask you a serious question. What is your view on Fela's politics? Fela's Black liberation message. What is your view on the socio-political elements of Fela Kuti??