Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectyeah i can't stop listening to this
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=174729&mesg_id=174865
174865, yeah i can't stop listening to this
Posted by Kosa12, Sat Apr-15-17 12:49 AM
5+ listens in and I can't even choose a favorite track. I'm between like SIX! It's a testament to how good his discography is that I think this is probably tied with Section 80 as his worst album (not counting UU) (and this album has MUCH higher highs than Sect. 80 IMO, but also MUCH lower lows). It's a shame "LOVE" and "GOD" had to be on here though - I can't see myself ever liking those tracks. Speaking of "GOD" I wonder how Chance feels about that song considering that it's basically a Chance song. "LOVE" is actually the worst Kendrick song ever to appear on an album. Damn lmao.

This album is odd in the sense that it's like, Kendrick does an album with overtly pop tracks, and tracks that seem like commercial rap by the numbers ("HUMBLE" beat is basic, however "LOYALTY" is a good pop single, was surprised by the fact I liked it) - why is probably why I found it a bit jarring on the first listen. That's why I can definitely understand the initial STRONGLY negative reactions here.

That said, this album is also extremely moody and psychedelic in parts - and that's when its at it's best for me. "FEAR" is just incredible. The entire dark, downtrodden, soulful vibe of that track. The lyrics going through his childhood, adolescence and adult life. "PRIDE" is also a trip, the singing is absolutely gorgeous and the entire atmosphere of that track is just something else to me, not to mention how he alters his voice throughout and those great introspective lyrics, really adds to the trippy feeling IMO. "LUST" is also amazing and is in the lane of being moody/dark. It strikes me as Kast' like at times (people always talk about the Pac' influence because West coast but honestly the 'Kast influence is more apparent sonically than anything else, why don't more people talk about that?!). Then there are the bangers like "DNA" , which I have probably played over 20 times already - that fucking beat change and "DUCKWORTH" with that amazing storytelling over some of 9th's best work. Also, I was fearing the U2 track, but it is also flames, especially the last 2/3rds of it, I love those last two beats.

It's interesting to see him do something so loosely constructed and straight forward in comparison to his past work. No overall journey here really with each track just focusing on literally the title. I mean obviously religion and virtues are overarching themes but still.