Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subject"manufactured" has a lot of variance in interpretation...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=174568&mesg_id=174582
174582, "manufactured" has a lot of variance in interpretation...
Posted by david bammer, Mon Feb-27-12 07:53 PM
there are/were lots of acts who were a label's answer to ____'s popularity through similar sound/image/packing & presentation.

for example, MYRON, was an oft, if not totally forgotten act (by anyone under 35) that was island records answer to d'angelo/maxwell/raphael saadiq.

and remember all those kid rap groups from 91/92?
da youngstaz, illegal, mobb deep, etc.
they were various labels cash-in on the success of kris-kross.
who, was jermaine durpi's cash-in on the success of michael bivens' group another bad creation.

da brat was jermaine dupri's answer to snoop dogg.
"funkdafied" was their answer to "nothin but a g thang"
and lil romeo was master p's answer to the success of lil bow wow.

choppa (not to be confused with the guy who works jos. a bank) was master p's very thinly-veiled answer to nelly.

j. cole was imo jay-z's answer to drake/charles hamilton (who still had priority with jimmy in those days).

foxy brown was def jam's answer to lil kim, who they luckily launched at exactly the same time kim herself was preparing her debut album, confusing the "who came first?" question to anyone not paying attention.

L was def jam's early answer to mc shan

chubb rock, dare i say was somebody at a label's answer to heavy d, despite being talented in his own right.

the beastie boys were a white cash-in on run-dmc's sound a la new edition -> new kids on the block.

ditto for public enemy -> 3rd base.

nwa had enough differences to avoid comparisons but they were obviously inspired by the beastie boys & public enemy.
this is especially apparent if you've ever heard any old dr. dre mixtapes or ice cube's group C.I.A.

i mean i could keep going ("oh my god keep going!!" © just blaze) but the bigger issue is simple cause & effect in music/the music industry.
and the attempt to calculate and minimize risk on... art. lol.
but usually when something makes an impact and succeeds to some degree there will be cash-ins, other label's "answer" to the popularity.
in the 00's mainstream rap music was almost exclusively made up of that sonically because of how lucrative it had become after the late 90's.