Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectDisagreed.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=174397&mesg_id=174474
174474, Disagreed.
Posted by denny, Wed May-21-14 01:23 AM
But it was an interesting read like always Bombay. I get the feeling that I'm still always interested in their records cause I'm looking for something different. I've never really seen them as a good singles group....or anthems or that type of thing. They're like the opposite of Naughty by Nature. They can never make that one track that makes people crazy. But for me, there is always something interesting in every song. Even if I don't like the melody/hook/chords.....there's just always some of thoughtful production technique.

The most obvious thing....is the drum engineering. The Roots have what? maybe 100 officially released tracks? That means they got 100 distinctive drum set sounds right there. Moreso than any other band in any other genre....the drum sounds on Roots records are so incredibly varied and experimental. I might have voiced this opinion here before...but yah. Every song has a different drum kit it seems. And I'd say a HUGE part of Quest's artistry is exercised through his drum engineering...experimenting with gear, mic placement, treatment.

The other thing...I'd say the Roots have become alot more artsier. As I was saying before....I've never really seen them as great at anthemic stuff. I'm just about to check out the new album...but I think you're right when you say they haven't added to the cannon of Roots-type half-hits (that was kinda mean) like 'you got me' and 'the seed'. But as I said before...my liking of them isn't much about that. I think they've just become an interesting kinda reflective listen. It's intellectual. Lyrics too....but mostly in the production. There's alot of conceptual approach in all the arranging and recording. I see it as intellectual and artsy. Even with all the production techniques...I'd say these things:

-Quest has gotten more subtle with production techniques that play off of the lyrics/theme of the song. But while being a little less heavy-handed...he's also become more adventurous.

-They've become more conceptual and almost....theatrical in the content. I don't mean theatrical in the sense of hype hip hop jumpoffs....there's less of that. I mean that some of their stuff is almost starting to sound like a radio play. Less focus in finding that wicked riff/groove....more focus on trying to service a story. So from a writing perspective...they've become much more focused. No more banging beats that just happen to have a narrative. The narrative is coming before the music.

So I can see how someone might suggest they're getting boring. I think it depends on what you're looking for.