Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectsee, this is what I mean by not being able to have a reasonable
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=174201&mesg_id=174310
174310, see, this is what I mean by not being able to have a reasonable
Posted by vee-lover, Fri Feb-10-12 05:22 PM
discussion abt anything w/o someone saying this artist isn't this of that in comparison to another artist. Its obvious D'angelo has a long way to go before he accomplishes HALF of what Prince did

but

my point still stands: Prince was already being called a genius before anyone heard one song from him in the early 70s...and that was off the strength of him being able to play and write and produce his own material. And for the record, Prince's 1st few releases were met w/a very lukeward reception by critics and fans alike. His music was thought of as genius until the 1999 album...

>arguments fall flat
>
>D'Angelo is not and will never compare to Prince, you can talk
>about his two cd's all you want but lets not compare that to
>what Prince did in the first 18 years of his career
>
>D'Angelo is not a genius

again, that's your opinion but as I said, anyone who is a self taught musician and learned to play these instruments before they were 12 yrs old is worthy of being called a genius. Ppl were calling Stevie a genius not so much because of the quality of the composition of "fingertips" but because of the fact he was a 12 yr old w/a booming voice and could play the piano as if he had been playing for yrs.