Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: I think then we may be defining myth differently...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=174201&mesg_id=174266
174266, RE: I think then we may be defining myth differently...
Posted by OldPro, Fri Feb-10-12 06:15 PM
>I'm guessing you're referring to Voodoo. I mean.... Voodoo was
>released...several singles were released....and he had a
>pretty successful tour related to it. We don't have to guess
>about Voodoo's success really..or the sucess of the tour as
>far as sales....But then again if people didn't like either
>they would be one of the folks that didn't buy the record.
>
>I mean I know okayplayer was big back then..but I seriously
>doubt that any backstory Quest gave about the making of the
>album was the reason why the record kept selling or why the
>tour kept selling out.

We're talking about two different things here... how heads on here viewed the album and why it sold to public at large. The Quest hype was absolutely a factor in Voodoo being called an instant classic. Now maybe you weren't saying that but that was when i first came to this board and I remember it well. It was like I couldn't believe they were talking about the same album... then I learned of what went down during the time it was being recorded and it made a little more sense. But to act like these cats weren't really feeling themselves after Voodoo came out is just not the way I remember it... just think back to that interview where Prince came up if you need a refresher.

As far as sales and the tour.... we all really know what drove those. The "Untitled" video. At the show I saw a good 70% of the crowd was female. Without that single I'm not sure we would even be talking about this album today... nothing else on there was going to appeal to the average record buying back then. I can't tell you how many people I knew that were upset as hell when they brought that album home and found out Untitled was the exception and not the rule. See this is where I think there's a disconnect... what mainstream fans got out of that album was totally different than what brings it praise here.

http://reunionradio.blogspot.com/