Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectI don't think it's just the D'angelo topic - *Daps* OP BTW
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=174201&mesg_id=174241
174241, I don't think it's just the D'angelo topic - *Daps* OP BTW
Posted by Artful Dodger, Fri Feb-10-12 02:02 PM
*meant to reply to Old Pro*

Been waiting on you to do your thing.

to me it's even bigger than this (in regards to the climate), OKP used to be a place where you could freely discuss... well anything.

Now it seems to be taken over by a bunch of kids - who instead of having a conversation with you instead find fun in just calling people names.

People should be allowed to have extreme opinions, be contrarian, hell whatever they feel and not be ridiculed for it, banned for it (?), or cyberbullied for it. OKP has truly become Cyberbullying at it's finest.

In regards to D'angelo - I'm with you in the middle ground. I'm not blown away and I don't think he's wack. Why I can't reside in the middle ground is just strange.

I don't think he's funk at all.
I cringe when people says he has guitar licks - cause he's okay and stable at best as a rhythm guitarist. His solos were not good at all. When folks fill in the blank for things like this - it's really just to sell something they believe in.

I find it odd that you can openly impersonate Prince and be called 'ground breaking' or 'innovative'. Stealing his sounds down to the keyboard patch? Untitled is the biggest Prince rip off EVER but history has been rewritten.

I also stated that D'Angelo is getting credit for influencing people that were - already full blown artists themselves, who were influenced by the same people (Prince, Stevie, Donny). What gets me is people speaking FOR these people as if any of those guestimations are true.

That said...

I also think his piano performance - was better than Prince's piano performances. *Braces for impact*.

But there ya go, no agenda, no motive - just an opinion.

They sky will still be there tomorrow folks.

To me it's just that OKP (the core of his base) has a very limited scope that they tend to view the world thru and nothing else. They seem to think the world starts and stops here and the truth is OKP has not been cutting edge for quite a few years. At one point folks felt this was that location in the universe that had it all - great music, great convo, and ppl who knew a lil something - now I can't get to the music cause there are ads for Baby Wipes, Paxil, Aspirin, The Country Music Awards, etc. and a whole host of other newbies who have no online eitquette. Things done changed.

That said I'm happy the man is alive, working, and having fun. I mean that's what this should be all about. Right?