Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectkinda why it never made the
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=174185&mesg_id=174189
174189, kinda why it never made the
Posted by 15, Sun Nov-19-17 05:06 PM
curtis/marvin pantheon in my mind

always felt like P's grip on reality w hood issues by this point was like dudes that looked like The Furious 5 or extras in the Bad video.

In France a skinny man
Died of a big disease with a little name
By chance his girlfriend came across a needle
And soon she did the same
At home there are seventeen-year-old boys
And their idea of fun
Is being in a gang called The Disciples

(to this point I was aboard).....

High on crack, totin' a machine gun

(....then he walked it back for me, I know he has 2 lines to paint the pic but meh I didn't believe his visual the way I believed in Mel's visual in The Message)

Time, time

Hurricane Annie ripped the ceiling off a church
And killed everyone inside

(If he just given her a better name, he coulda been a prophet predicting terror shit that now happens on the regular---but her nickname sounds like a rocker from a pg13 flick from the 80s)

You turn on the telly and every other story
Is tellin' you somebody died

(good recovery......)

Sister killed her baby 'cuz she couldn't afford to feed it

(hmmmm P's conservative horns are showing here (his stance on abortion, dismissive resolution for the sake a couplet that doesn't even get explored for even the sake of a rhyme scheme....)

And we're sending people to the moon

(we aren't exactly, but I guess this paints government spends more on the space program than its own people)

In September my cousin tried reefer for the very first time
Now he's doing horse, it's June

(Imma let this slide cause he taught me a code word I never knew before and Prince's genius for packing in a HELL of a visual with the right words and perfect delayed delivery are on full display even though I do NOT believe for a sec Weed is a gateway drug)

It's silly, no'
When a rocket ship explodes
And everybody still wants to fly
Some say a man ain't happy
Unless a man truly dies
Oh why
Time, time

(that's perfection he checks human nature, human curiosity, human stubbornness, and hypocrisy and vulnerability without being mellow dramatic. most people dont put that much thought and energy in their bridges, I'll say his bridge hold WAY more weight and cred than his first two verses)

Baby make a speech, Star Wars fly
Neighbors just shine it on
But if a night falls and a bomb falls
Will anybody see the dawn
Time, times

(another quickie verse I believe was just an excuse to humble brag to yall like "dog aint NOBODY this profound in a bridge EVER, lets go over the evidence again SHALL WE!?!?!?!?!)

It's silly, no'
When a rocket blows
And everybody still wants to fly
Some say a man ain't happy, truly
Until a man truly dies
Oh why, oh why, Sign O the Times

(HA he sang it different and it feels even MORE profound, "Man aint happy truly until man truly dies" I feel THAT is the most potent timeless unfortunate (for his life at least) definitive statement of this whole song.... prolly his whole career

Sign O the Times mess with your mind
Hurry before it's to late
Let's fall in love, get married, have a baby
We'll call him Nate... if it's a boy

(Prince wouldn't be Prince without Prince fuckin with cha'......side humblebrag note: last time I seen him perform this he said "have a baby, we'll call him Ahmir....If he funky"

greatest moment in my life man.