Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectWhat's interesting is how different album cycles are for them now
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=173853&mesg_id=174063
174063, What's interesting is how different album cycles are for them now
Posted by seandammit, Sat Jun-21-14 09:45 AM
Meaning, whether you love the new album or absolutely hate it, ATYSYC really doesn't have much of an impact on your experience with the band for long.

It's a common thing that occurs for bands that are late into their career, really. They release a new project with a bunch of songs, but (unless there is a smash late-career hit among the set), it's not like those songs are going to dominate their live show. For the most part, a band that has been playing this long is going to mainly perform their hits and more loved songs from their catalog, maybe occasionally sprinkling in a "this song is off our new album" joint.

With the Roots' current schedule and gig, this is magnified. Think about it, how often have you heard/seen a performance of "Make My," the lead single off 'Undun'? Or any other song from that album? You pretty much know what you're going to get with a Roots set these days (though I did think it was cool that their setlist from the last Picnic eschewed a lot of the staples for some different shit).

I guess what I'm saying is that if you love the album, you've got the album to listen to. And if you really dislike the album, you don't really have to listen to it and the Roots are still pretty much going to be around with very little reminders that this album exists.