Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: The Roots ... and then you shoot your cousin LP - Tracklist & Pre-Order
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=173853&mesg_id=174018
174018, RE: The Roots ... and then you shoot your cousin LP - Tracklist & Pre-Order
Posted by Tycredo, Fri May-23-14 12:38 PM
Listened to it about three times through. Seems like the next logical step after Undun.

I like the experimentation a lot. Very atmospheric.

The thing I took away the most is that the Roots might be the only/most experimental rap group on a major label. Considering the current "sound" of commercial rap, this is absolutely the polar opposite. I think we should actually be thankful they still put out stuff at all. If the Roots were gone, no one could fill those shoes on any level.

I don't know if this is "hipster rap" on any level…I actually don't even know what that means, but I would be shocked if this is it.

I do look at their music in terms of their age….they're not the "battle hungry 20 year olds" they used to be. They're full grown men, have been around for eons in hip hop years…and basically you're hearing the revelations of full grown men and it's sobering.