Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectMan, I've never been so happy to be wrong
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=172976&mesg_id=173208
173208, Man, I've never been so happy to be wrong
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Thu Nov-17-16 06:49 PM
When the album was first announced, I was skeptical because I thought the label was making a cash grab and putting out a bunch of unreleased tracks and labeling as a fully fleshed-out album from Tribe.

After a while I figured Tip wouldn't put out something that half-stepped because he cares too much about his legacy and about Tribe's track record. When 15 and some other folks who heard the record left some positive comments around the net, I was fully on board.

I'm so glad I was wrong about this project. It took about 5 or 7 listens to really adapt to the change in sound from their last album, but this is dope.

Another poster above said the best thing about the sound in that the album is still Tribe, but modern. It shows that the band has grown in their musical tastes and also in their social conscious since most of the record has some form of social insight within the lyrics. 15 mentioned how The Roots actively sought to be more socially aware and serious with their music and that's what Tribe has done here. There are still some jams on the record, but this sounds less like something that would be on at a block party and more like an album that would be played in a car with two people who have more a more sophisticated view of the world than when they were in the twenties.

My sister was amazed at how cohesive it is and the level of detailing in this album. And for them just recording over the past year or so after being apart, this is a really good album. I'd put it a bit behind Beats, Rhymes, and Life, but I really like BR&L so that's not a knock on Thank You 4 Your Service.