Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subject*DING*
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=172587&mesg_id=172758
172758, *DING*
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Wed Dec-31-14 10:41 PM
its also
>made me return to funk, which i havent really wanted to listen
>to in quite a long time.

I'm not bullshitting; that's EXACTLY what this slbum has achieved with me. Granted, it's winter and as a tradition, I listen to nothing but vintage reggae for like two months but this album and it's influences has managed to sneak some funk in there; like,it feels like a live genre rather than something museal like blues... Seriously, due to this album, I've played more Sly than I have in like a decade (and note that Sly is always present in my listening habits but still...)

One of the reasons I've felt so lame on these boards in the past years vs when I started is because my interest in black music (tm) has honestly been kind of minimal. Like, I have been more likely to blast some death metal than some vintage JB's and obviously, "moder4n" black music hasn't helped. Now, I feel like totally black musicall7ly and this albums has helped a lot; it's like you need something to "TR4IGGER" you in a ce4rtain dir4ection and this album delivere4d; I suddenly feel like I have something to add to the Lesson as oppose4d to being the dude who say that Entombed>>>"Job for a cowboy"...

Seriously, I feel reenergized...