Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subject...thanks, that article articulates (in a technical way) what i cant...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=172587&mesg_id=172745
172745, ...thanks, that article articulates (in a technical way) what i cant...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Dec-27-14 07:58 AM
that article hits the nail on the head for me...

...it mirrors (or explains in a technical way) what i've been doing, feeling and thinking over the last few weeks or so....taking my time with the record, letting it marinade, beginning to discover more & more of the subtle qualities behind the more obvious ones. i havent had this much fun enjoying an album in a LONG time...

so here i am after almost two weeks, trying to explain to some folks why i love the record...and since i dont know the 'technicals' of music at ALL, i'm saying things along the lines...

"...man, that groove makes me GRIN it feels so friggin' good..."

"...its so FULL but yet not muddy at all..."

"...its got 'space n air', yet still feels grounded deep-n-solid like..."

"...its complex but not convoluted, ya know?..."

"...honestly, i almost dont care WHAT he's actually saying really, for me his vocals & phrasing are kinda like another one of the instruments within the grooves, hitting all the right spots..."

"...it just feels like a natural evolution to me...doesnt feel forced at ALL and feels 'fresh' which is honestly kinda surprising to me since i guess its been being 'worked on' for 14 years now? you'd expect something thats been worked on so long to be over-produced and weighed down with too much this or that, but not THIS record...its sooo damn balanced...it feels very 'loose' yet 'tight', free-swingin' but still well thought out..."

"...oh, now that i've downloaded the lyrics, they are VERY well done, they even add ANOTHER level of enjoyment to the record (and they DON'T detract from the music like sucky lyrics can do :) ..."

"...yeah, you're right....THAT song is pretty much PERFECT man. Yup, that other one too. Yeah, so's that one..."