Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectThe latter, absolutely. The former, well...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=172285&mesg_id=172378
172378, The latter, absolutely. The former, well...
Posted by Dr Claw, Sun Feb-14-16 12:20 PM
I go back and forth with College Dropout.
Loved the skits.

That album to me is: "Slow Jamz", "We Don't Care", "Through The Wire", "Last Call", and begrudgingly "Spaceship", everything else I can take or leave.

It's about even with Graduation, but I like the high points of that album (one of which is "Everything I Am") more than I like the stuff that I can take or leave from that album.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Porcelain Toilet is the album I've listened to the least out of his whole (solo) discog. Not a song I take away from it and have to listen to, months away from it. "Power" might be it. And I forget it's on that album, I keep associating it with Graduation. He made better versions of those songs on Yeezus.

Yeezus was an album where it felt like he was gonna piss off the world. It's brief, it's hilarious, and he doesn't let songs go longer than they should. the album clocks in in about under an hour (I think), and I only dislike one song ("I'm In It"). Kanye was getting Kobe-type reviews. No fanfare, no "OLD KANYE IS BACK!!", just Kanye showing you where he was in that ridiculous life he was and taking you along for the ride. The motherfucker got me to actually listen to a song with Chief fuckin' Keef. He should get a Grammy off that alone.

As for Pablo. Too soon, but it reminds me of what I liked about Yeezus, while not being Yeezus Pt. 2. There's some stuff for "the outside world" to like on it too. Very disjointed, but combines everything from every stage of Kanye's career on one album. "I Love Kanye" might be the most hilarious thing I've heard recorded in years, not unlike his "I Am A God" from Yeezus.