Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectI'm aware that disagreeing makes me a stan
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=172285&mesg_id=172323
172323, I'm aware that disagreeing makes me a stan
Posted by bills, Sat Feb-13-16 12:47 PM
but whatever.
My issue with the idea that Kanye just slaps his name on other people's ideas is that his body of work is stronger than that of most of his collaborators by far...at least in my opinion.
I'm a decent Rhymefest fan, and up until very recently I woulda told you that Consequence is one of thee very best rappers that no one cares to mention...but even when they were allegedly writing all his rhymes, Kanye's verse's always had more interesting, poignant, and humorous lines than theirs did. Not just when they did songs together, but on any record. Up until Yeezus (which is a good album, but has subpar lyrics to say the least), imo, Kanye consistently rapped verses that were more interesting and enjoyable than almost any rapper that was supposedly better than him (which, to most of you, seems to be about half the rap game).
On the production tip, Ye's done the same thing...he's consistently made what may be the highest quality hip hop of our generation, but his critics swear he adds nothing to the creative process. If I needed my other hand to count the rap albums that were better than LR & MBDTF in the last 15 years (longer, imo), I'd question Kanye's usefulness, but...nope.
I'm not sure how the fact that he gives others credit for contributing means that he himself makes no major contributions. People have been trying to discredit this guy his whole career. EVERYBODY he worked with since College Dropout is said by people who weren't in the studio to have done all the work. I'm skeptical.