Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectThere was overlap, but the majority of Bay acts didn't get as much play
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=171908&mesg_id=171975
171975, There was overlap, but the majority of Bay acts didn't get as much play
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Tue Jun-02-15 05:02 PM
in L.A., especially on radio. There were a good number of folks here who played Bay music, but it didn't go as deep.

I remembered ALL the main names from back then, so even beyond Short and 40, that would be Dru Down, Mac Mall, Spice 1, Ant Banks, 3x Krazy, The Who-Ridas, Celly Cell, Mac Dre, even down to the folks like Little Bruce and Dre Dog. But I really only knew who they were because their albums were all at Sam Goody and The Wherehouse. I would catch a few of their videos on Rap City, sometimes even The Box, but that was it. Me being younger had a huge impact, since I was 12-14 at this time, and also the fact that the internet wasn't really going until 1999 when it came to music.

Listening to all the Bay music I put on the Timeline, I find it crazy that barely any of it really made it to L.A, because it sounded so similar. A few songs would make it randomly, like "It's going down tonight" but we missed a good majority of the bangers. Local radio was way different, though...so it was also about the fact that L.A. rappers were hanging at the studios daily, while Bay ones wouldn't make it down as much.