Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectThis BANGS, OKP.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=171103&mesg_id=171313
171313, This BANGS, OKP.
Posted by TheAlbionist, Tue Aug-11-15 08:13 AM
Surprised with the lukewarm reception... took me until last night to listen to it because I was expecting to be underwhelmed and I'm only half way through (Mr Robot took precedence once the food was ready) , but the lady and I were rockin' to this when I was cooking dinner last night.

First thoughts are mainly that most of the vocals are GOOD ENOUGH, not standout, but absolutely good enough because the production is fucking FLAMES. Pretty much every track was knocking my head off up to "One Shot, One Kill" which was the first that struck me as a bit by-numbers, just wasn't moving me much, but Genocide through to Deep Water left me with my fucking mouth hanging open. How has Dre managed to use AWWWLLL the stock 2015 production ideas and made something sounding this FRESH, but this DRE? It's still got that lean, it's still sounding like it needs to come out of a '64 lowrider.

My biggest question is how did Dre produce 16 tracks of releasable music and NOT call it Detox? He must love that monkey on his back...