Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectWTF is this???
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=171103&mesg_id=171284
171284, WTF is this???
Posted by _Torchbaras, Fri Aug-07-15 06:42 PM
Besides a HUGE letdown to me, lemme see, try n stay positive...

- a lot of musical ideas rangin from good to genius, mos of them not so good in execution, and mos of them way too short.

- A record with beautiful dynamics thruout, mostly mix but also melodywise.

- A great moment in hip hop history where two legends collab on a dope track.

- A chance to hear a lotta dope emcees drop verses, some real solid.

That about sums it up to me.

Now, a coupla ?s -

- Wheres the instant classic cuts, that has that timeless feel?

- What happened to Dres calm delivery? (I know, Kendrick...)

- Wheres the slammin drums?

- Wheres the thick westcoastish soundscapes that he helped build, and can we get em back?

...And so on, and so on...

I just watched some studio footage coupla days ago, Snoop went with a WHOLE LOTTA west coast heavyhitters and created MONSTER upon MONSTERS of beats for a record called Detox. That was just half an hour outa round 15 yrs. Of production for another Dre album.

How much AMAZING material was lost and replaced by the mess that is this project?

I can understand Dre not wantin to follow up with carbon Melman or Storch, but at least keep that sound you helped create in the mix. Sure sure, you say, its in there. For bout a coupla minutes max.

I can understand Dre bein inspired by his youth in Compton and in the music biz, and wantin to tap into that energy, but why the beats reflect what is hot amongst the youth today (I.E. Trap) and not what was?

Aight, ima stop for now with concludin that the Dre x Premier collabo was all I wanted it to be.