Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectI'm still gathering my thoughts but you summed up a lot of how I feel about it..
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=171103&mesg_id=171266
171266, I'm still gathering my thoughts but you summed up a lot of how I feel about it..
Posted by Brew, Fri Aug-07-15 08:01 AM
The modern sound is good and bad.

The vocals, including what you said about Snoop, are kind of perplexing. It's got a TDE feel which I am lukewarm about. I wanted more straight up rhyming rather than the old-Eminem style verses with all kinds of sound effects and voice effects interrupting the rhymes.

The beats are uber-complex and I may even go as far as to say that a lot of it is over-produced, though I always say I have historically preferred Dre's beats to be layered and complex a la The Chronic/Efil4zaggin as opposed to simplistic and clean a la 2001 and the bulk of his 00s work.

So ... that's some basic stuff. But I'll be back with way more thoughts after I get through it a third time.

One way or the other it's sorta exciting to be able to say "yo I'm listening to the new Dre album." Haven't said that since I was 15 and I was bootlegging early versions of What's the Difference, The Watcher and Fuck You and playing them for a non-alcoholic high school freshmen party I was at and gauging reactions.