Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectsome of yall need to go back and relisten.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=170384&mesg_id=170567
170567, some of yall need to go back and relisten.
Posted by Mr. ManC, Mon Mar-16-15 09:08 PM
My first listen was on the subway. And initially it sounded really nice and exciting production wise but the transitions felt really abrupt and disjointed.

It sounded like he was doing too much at once and trying to sneak into too many elements and nod at too many influences and styles.

BUT I was really excited to get home and listen with the lyrics......

"Do you listen to music or do you just skim through it?" (c)

If you came here looking for hits or a crossover single....man I feel so disappointed for you. Not because they aren't there but because literally you are pimping the butterfly.

To see this project and the depths Kendrick went into to explain this very personal narrative about how he's found himself in this industry and how he felt in compromising his music and himself and his vices and EVERYTHING in between....yo this shit is masterful. Yall looking for singles?!? He gave you an ALBUM.

One thing I appreciate about Lupe and Kendrick's albums this season is that in giving no fucks about the "label formula" for making a hit and just doing them to the max, they have both cranked out their best works. Yall are hating on this for its expansive ambitiousness and dexterity? Do you even listen bro? (c) He literally said on a song to make room for mistakes and depression: this dude is going through it, drunkenly screaming in a hotel room and yall are like "but where's the hits tho?"

As of now, this album is a masterpiece. Standalone masterpiece. Commercially viable? Who knows and who cares? Sincerely. You gonna pimp a butterfly and tell him to change up his formula so he can appeal to masses that have no appeal? The people that get it will love it. And the ones that don't well it isn't for them. If you want commercially appealing rap then play "Fancy". I appreciate artists taking this trend of not trying to be the "best" or "king" of rap, but rather THEIR best. It is literally the difference between a Kendrick and a Lil Wayne at their respective peaks.

As great as GKMC is I felt like it was his most compromised album. Within that whole narrative I could not figure out how Drake ended up in his Mama's van in 2002 or whenever. This album tho? No compromises. And once you get over your expectations for what you wanted him to do and just listen to what he did......man.

Good shit Kendrick. I'm not choosing this over Testuo. They both are costarring right now. Lupe has a better collection of individual songs, but Kendrick made an album that is essentially a single song, with all it's different movements. These 2 albums will have me stuck for a good while.