Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: Kendrick - To Pimp a Butterfly discussion - Redux
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=170384&mesg_id=170531
170531, RE: Kendrick - To Pimp a Butterfly discussion - Redux
Posted by ChanEpic, Mon Mar-16-15 06:48 PM
Mature beyond his years. This isn't just a good album it is an album that is needed right now. K Dot is positioning himself as the opposite of what was expected and many times what was WANTED. To me that is a pure and undeniable sign of artistry. This album, and by extension Kendrick's whole career, represents a departure that is similar only to the Native Tongues and their entre into hiphop, that I can remember at least.

I'll accept whatever ill comes my way but Drake doesnt make music like this because IMHO he can't. Even if he tried.
Same goes for Wayne, Trinidad, J Cole etc etc. etc.

The formula:

Experimental, Heavy Jazz Funk, Lyrics, Concept all on point and cohesive as a coherent package that reminds me of very few in HipHop. It becomes even more apparent on subsequent listens to this album.
I hear a pleasantly surprising "product" that extends to an excellent Mix, Song Arrangement and Master.
This is a REAL GROWN MAN's hip hop album. Emphasis on the "Album" aspect.

Song by song, I don't know if the individual tracks move me in a way listening to it in one sitting does.

But when I judge it as a whole and, as HipHop as Art...
I'm glad an artist with the stature Kenddrick Lamar has made THIS album.
Right Now.
It's what's needed.