Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectI don't hear it...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=170384&mesg_id=170415
170415, I don't hear it...
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Wed Mar-18-15 05:46 AM
Unless you count the "sgt peppers"-esque repetition of the "Push it along"-groove throughout the album, I don't see much difference in terms of *structure*. There are actually several songs on "LET" that lacks hooks in the conventional sense and seems to rely more on subtle *musical* hooks (those songs are undeniably more effective to me on LET than on Peoples... where it's the poppy songs that are the standouts) than "song-type" ones.

However, I agree with you 100% that the aesthetitc ATCQ projected on "Peoples..." was one of a more bohemian/"alternative rap" whimsy than the more "pure" Hip-Hop one on "LET", I just don't think structure has anything to do with it; they are both quite conventional in that regards.

And BTW, the resaon the jazz-elements on "LET" works so well compared with the more time-typical jazz-rap style is that the infusion of jazz-samples aren't there to project a bohemian/"alternative" aesthetic but rather seems to be used for the exact same reason people sampled James Brown (or fucking Mountain or anything for that matter) earlier which is where all those Dream Warriors/(early)Galliano/Us3/first Digable Planets etc. type records failed...

EDIT:And on vinyl, the time-difference isn't too notable; the cd (and possibly tape)-version of Peoples added a bunch of bonus-tracks which I guess make it appear weirder than it really was (yes, in 1990, I think it's fair to use the vinyl as the norm)