Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectPeople's Instinctive Travels did not have more structured songs than LET
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=170384&mesg_id=170414
170414, People's Instinctive Travels did not have more structured songs than LET
Posted by Bombastic, Tue Mar-17-15 09:08 PM
Their debut album was far more esoteric, bugged-out and in some ways jazzily meandering than Low End Theory.

People's had a couple almost 'novelty hits' in Bonita Applebaum & Left My Wallet In El Segundo, with I believe 'Can I Kick It?' being the key album cut fan favorite eventually released as a single or considered one.

But the rest of the album wasn't one that the general rap audience was bumping heavy front to back like that.

The album was long as fuck plus got pretty weird at the end.

People's Instinctive Travel was also not hailed as a major masterwork of the genre that the group would have a hard time following.

It was a cool little record of a newer, younger Native Tongue group that was critically not viewed on the level of 3 Feet High & Rising or even Sex Packets while commercially not on the level of Black Sheep's debut a year or two later.

Low End Theory was Tip growing up a bit in life while gaining some experience in the studio, taking cues from what really worked on the first, streamlining the songs into palatable stand-alone cuts all between about 2:30 to 4 minutes long (Description of a Fool was like 6 minutes & I dare you to give me 2-4 bars of it off the top of your head) but still sharing a cohesive thread/feel for a full album with a run time of 45-48 minutes rather than 65-68, compensating for the jazziness of the samples by cranking up the bass thump & drum crack to then-unprecedented heights which allowed the streets (in the peak of the beepers-and-car-stereo age) to 'boomitandyaboomitandyaboomitinyajeep' at a level that signified you were there half a mile before you arrived.

Low End Theory was actually Tribe putting their bid in to compete as one of the major rap groups of the era along with your PEs, NWAs, De Las, Naughtys, etc......they weren't quite viewed as such yet in 90/91.