Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: Ok, I'm up for an hour or so. Ask Away......
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=169938&mesg_id=170022
170022, RE: Ok, I'm up for an hour or so. Ask Away......
Posted by 15, Mon Dec-22-14 12:28 PM
>What's your favorite record you've ever recorded (as
>producer) i mean Voodoo opened so many doors for me, i gotta say "Voodoo" first heard Slum Village during Voodoo. i learned all i know about engineering making this album. the creative spillover helped make Things Fall Apart, Like Water For Chocolate, Mama's Gun and a lot others. Soul Train re-entered my life. demand for my drumming...it was a game changer. not to mention making it. some of the craziest amazing moments in life.

>What's your favorite record you solely played drums on?

kinda hard to say: Roots related: Double Trouble was watershed moment in engineering my drums. "Chicken Grease" snare did me well in the aughts via the samples. playing on Dido album was great in terms of Jon Brion making me sound yacht rockish. Philly experiment album let drum like Ferrone my idol. then again....Messiah pulled mad challenges outta me. ----ugh can't answer this!

>What's your favorite album/single you've heard in the past
>five years?

>What's your favorite album/single you've heard in the past ten
>years?

man. lol i can't answer. I'm sure its Dilla related.

>If you were going to produce an album right now, who would you
>have produce it?

begging Chaka to lemme have a go at it. i was working with Rundgren for the last year or so but its not going smooth (he's in Hawaii me and Steve in NYC and we aren't jelling)

>What would you say is hardest about being a producer? i HATE doing vocals. and now that Rich is gone....im DREADING having to fill in that slot come next Roots album.

>And drums aside, what would you say is your strengths, and
>what would you consider to be your weaknesses in regards to
>production?

my strengths are groove and texture. not until Fallon did i realize i lacked melody and structure.

mainly because we have to write STRONG 7-second jingles. which is a GREAT exercise if you wanna write songs that stick. so this new Roots album more than anything will show you what i learned in the last 6 years. the difference in this album and our last 7 (Roots albums not Betty Wright or Elvis or Booker T) were the "factory system" was in effect in which there really was a motown system going on in which i was 1 of 9 people with final say. so i guess you can say this is first album that will feel like TFA and Phren (the last albums in which the weight was on me creatively as opposed to the creative factory version)