Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: we can dream. the lp reminds me of kamaal the abstract
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=169938&mesg_id=169945
169945, RE: we can dream. the lp reminds me of kamaal the abstract
Posted by 15, Tue Dec-16-14 01:51 AM
>how heavy was tips presence? - welp of the 14 years, there were 4 years that we didn't speak. so i'll say Tip was D's co-pilot more than anything. i mean these songs are powerful, but JESUS the 4 Tip songs that had me losing sleep? THOSE JOINTS?!?!?! jeeeeeeeze.

>is he the sub for dilla? i don't think so cause Tip was there for the lyric structure, not just for beats. Tip might be onto something as a songwriter.

>this lp really sounds like a continuation of voodoo
>not as futuristic as i thought----lol welp. show me an album that was made for that entire 14 years and it maintain its power for that long. like look at Songs In The Key Of Life from 1976, you think Stevie could make an album STARTING in 1962, and when it sees the light of day in 1976 it shines as if it were released in 1985?

do that with ANY artist:

Sgt Pepper starts in 1953-released in 1967
Bitches Brew starts in 1954 released in 1968
Beautiful Twisted Dark 1996 released in 2010

see where I'm going?

he started tracking in 2000 during voodoo.

so the ONE thing we can establish with Dangelo is his utter disregard of time.

be it release dates
be it prompt for shows
be it quantized meter
or be it musical references.

its his sound.

>i expected it to sound more funkadelic guitar rnb rockish----life is better experiencing things with 0 expectations. get what you get. deal with what you dealt. all you getting is dangleo. not prince. not curtis. not marvin. dangleo.

>it sounds like the line on repeat, with changeups
>not that it's a bad thing
>i haven't even got around to dealin' with the lyrics yet---well when you finally get to listening to the album holla back.