Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectnah man i ain't buying it... you want to talk musical aesthetics..
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=169781&mesg_id=169807
169807, nah man i ain't buying it... you want to talk musical aesthetics..
Posted by imcvspl, Mon Jan-26-15 01:05 PM
>throughout the album, there's sample chopping, there's drum
>breaks, theres vocal scratches.
>
>the idea that when you have live instruments, changes in chord
>progression, basically anything 'more' than 1-2 repeating
>loops for 4 minutes straight makes it 'over produced' or 'not
>hip hop' is insane to me

not what i said. my critique is that it's too fucking clean. clean being the imperative word. its a sound aesthetic which just doesn't sit well in my ears while someone's trying to spit for their life.

>i don't think "music > hip hop"
>i do think i would rather listen to something 'more' musically
>than something simple that repeats itself over and over

fuck people that say this. fuck em fuck em fuck em

it's the most backhanded bullshit out there. i fucking can't stand it. because guess what happens when you get a live player on a hip-hop track... they play the same shit that repeats over and over, except a couple flourishes that say 'hey i'm really playing this guys, not a sample!!'

but even more the 'more musical' you're referring to is denying the primary instrument of the song which should always be the focus - the lyrics. it's not just fucking talking. when cats is spitting true, they are doing so with musicality which is meant to be the focus. before the content even. that's why i say i'm so tired of motherfuckers rocking the same flows. it's the equivlent to everyone using the same chords. shit's boring.

but now we get lupe who at least pushes those flows with a technicality that warrants attention but it's all dressed up with this shiny happy people shit that makes it feel like it's more than it needs to be. you like that part as music, to me it's just distraction.

>i say this as someone who worshipped dj premier from the time
>i was about 16
>but if i try to listen to primo instrumentals nowadays, i have
>to skip forward after about 70 seconds, because i know i've
>heard the entire thing and there is nothing more to it,
>there's nothing to wait for, there's nothing to look forward
>to

which is exactly why primo don't release instrumental albums but instead works with those artists that fit perfectly into the foundation he lays to elevate them shits to fucking hip-hop classics. so apparently it's not the primo beats that bore you, it's rapping in general which is i guess why you go to the instrumentals rather than the vocal versions.

>i'm glad there are increasingly more albums that sound like
>this

i wish they would stop. at least not for rapper albums. producers want to go all out and get rappers as features fine, because in those cases the production is the spotlight. but i want rappers going in on shit that compliments them not desparately tries to outshine them.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."