Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectNormally, I'd agree.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=169300&mesg_id=169517
169517, Normally, I'd agree.
Posted by DolphinTeef, Fri Dec-14-12 10:30 PM
I'll even say the songs you mentioned are in fact, hits. But, plenty of talentless artists have hits. They usually fizzle out though...especially when the money comes.

Other posters are quite upset at Keef for non-musical reasons. While valid, this is basically pointless to me. Why? Because, as others have mentioned, its the same criticism of previous acts in history.

Fact is, Chief Keef does not have years of paid dues under his belt. It's clearly evident in his lack of true identity. The production is OBVIOUSLY carrying him. He is OBVIOUSLY emulating various rappers. For anyone who's tried to rap, they'll admit they sounded like Rapper X at 16...so this isn't even a fault really. Just an observation. This will comeback to haunt him. This is why i do not think it's a good idea when rappers come fresh off inception into "Stardom". It waters down the rap game.

Anyway...his musical skillset leaves me empty. It's completely boring and might even be the catalyst that drives this trap (or drill) sound into the ground. GOOD! Literally everyone is on the same shit (Minus SOME older rappers, Danny Brown & TDE).

Frontin' like this is a "classic" however is borderline ban-worthy.