Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: Wow dude... contradiction of epic proportions.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=169300&mesg_id=169514
169514, RE: Wow dude... contradiction of epic proportions.
Posted by murph71, Sat Dec-15-12 02:08 PM
There's no contradiction...Let me break it down for you...

On an artistic/talent level, Keef is horrible...He makes 2 Chainz sound like Kendrick Lamar...And like I said, if it was that cut and dry then this would be the end of the discussion...But it's not....Because it's become way bigger than just the music...

On a big picture level (beyond the music itself) Keef has come to symbolize a lot of the bullshit that disturbs me about our society and entertainment today...As well as the issues I have with the music industry itself and the media (of which I'm a part of) covering it...

It's a largely white media outlet taking a 16 year old to a gun range....

It's Interscope allowing a 16 year old boy to publicly applaud the death of a gang related rival amid a blood bath in MY hometown...

It's music fans being enamored by the same kid's troubled story of pulling guns out on cops and running the streets of the Chi, which is now caught up in a senseless, bloody war...And that same kid not having the actual talent to make such issues moot like Snoop or 50 Cent did in the past...

I take offense to Keef being the poster boy of the Drill Music scene...I take offense to Keef being the face of Chicago hip-hop...But I'll say it again...I don't blame the kid because he doesn't know better...He's just a baby...

I blame the music industry suits, the *white* publications, grown ass black folks and blogging hipsters that trumpet such uber ignorance when for many like myself it hits too close to home...

I don't have time to be a Contrarian...I don't have time to be wishy washy or academic...I got lil cousins Keef's age caught up in the system and gang life in Chicago....I've been to too many funerals of people shot just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Maybe to you this is just all about music...

But to me its personal...