Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectMurph....I got to tell you.....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=169300&mesg_id=169442
169442, Murph....I got to tell you.....
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Thu Dec-13-12 04:51 PM
that is one hell of a reply my man...

thank you...

I give it my full endorsement (points at you like Fred McGriff)

For me it's like this...the one thing that got my attention about Chief Keef was the 2 videos for I don't like and Love Sosa.... The fact that in the videos he was the only dude with his shirt off in a large room with nothing but dudes was just odd to me. I mean I work every day with thousands of teenagers....I know how they get down....and I also know that there is a part of gang culture where when you see a "young rider" with his shirt off it kind of means that he's down for whatever...not affraid...and ready to ride....I get that... But to have him shirtless with his boys arms around shoulders and no girls in the video was just odd to me..

the one thing about his music that is somewhat appealing.....particularly for someone who likes "ignorant" rap music...there is a rawness involved in that type of music that has an organic feel to that on some levels is appealing in hip hop when it's done of a certain quality..... Three 6 mafia had that...project pat...kingpin skinny pimp had that.....early NWA and Easy E....too short and the like...

but the thing is....once we start talking about selling records....we're talking about marketing...we're talking about presenting something for entertainment....at that point there is a line that is drawn where the artist has to take the next step of adding some redeeming value to what they do..or softening what they do. If they don't do that then we are at a point where the artist is simply exploiting degredation..and that isn't cool in a place and a time where lives are being destroyed...

and considering what is happening on the streets of Chicago right today....we are at a point where there needs to be something more to what Keef is doing or else he basiclly becomes a lawn jockey on hell's front lawn....