Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: That's fine, but none of that has to do with a musical critique tho
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=169300&mesg_id=169419
169419, RE: That's fine, but none of that has to do with a musical critique tho
Posted by murph71, Thu Dec-13-12 04:17 PM
>Obviously there has to be an appeal because someone likes it;
>it's not as if hipsters/cultural* bloggers, etc..buy records.
>They download them or get to review em for free. When someone
>cracked on Trini James being an internet only phenom DJ Ristic
>pointed out its one of his hottest records in real life based
>off his last few parties. Kanye West bogarded 'I Don't Like'
>and it was a huge hit earlier in the year...

I hear you...I respect all that...But I don't care...I'm no sheep...And let's be real...We are not talking about production values here...The beat for "I Don't Like" rides out...It's catchy...

I'm talking the content and the image of Chief Keef from a personal level, not whether or not he's rapping over a good beat and you can dance/bounce to it...

>I just can't see how we draw the line here with the Chief Keef
>of the worlds when Mobb Deep were sprewing the same nonsense
>around the same age. Just because rappers now are all in
>their mid 30's doesn't mean that teenagers weren't killing
>each other on wax (and rapping about it) years ago.

Again...there's a fine line between having violence laced into your lyrical output and just being on some unskillful bullshit made for the Basketball Wives/Honey Boo Boo crowd...

>I just find it hypocritical for us to be like, 'Chief
>Keef'...artistically bereft music that contributes to the
>downfall of society!
>
>When we were debating N.W.A's non-nomination to the Rock N
>Roll Hall of fame, lol. What was their positive contribution
>to the world lyrically outside of catchy rape songs if we have
>to judge music based on it's morals?
>
>This Chief Keef album sucks because well, it just sucks, but
>his 'Back from the Dead' mixtape from earlier in the year
>deserved the buzz. The jury remains out on Trini-James, but
>'All Gold Everything' is a great song with stiff, but
>memorable, lines.

Listen homie...You and others simply have bad taste in music...And since this is America we our all allowed are flaws...I have mines as well when it comes to some art...

But on the real, I'm coming from this on a personal angle...I just find the championing of Keef and others of his ilk (I placed Kreayshawn and her nigga-slinging crew in the same category, btw)as some bullshit because I know where the kid comes from...And I know how crazy the Chi is now...I'm not going to be reasonable on this...It's too emotional for me...

And on a artistic/musical level, if black folks are going to be portrayed as ignorant buffoons (James) or savages (Keef) then at least have the decency to be good at what you do...

You know why Ice T, Scarface and even NWA could be given the benefit of the doubt during those "this is the end of the civilization" discussions about rap back then?

Because they were actually skillful at what they did...What Keef is is a modern day Eazy E in plain terms...But Eazy had Cube and Ren to balance him out with pure talent and skill...

And really...HOW CAN YOU BLAME A 17 YEAR OLD KID LIKE KEEF? He's doing him...He's a kid...He's ignorant...He's had no real parenting...He caught up in a trap like most of the kids in black side of Chi...I don't blame him...

I blame the industry machine and media folks trumpeting this shit...

But really, I could care less about the artistic merits...

I just find the whole buzz on some bullshit hipster driven fraud...