Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectThat's fine, but none of that has to do with a musical critique tho
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=169300&mesg_id=169417
169417, That's fine, but none of that has to do with a musical critique tho
Posted by BigReg, Thu Dec-13-12 03:54 PM
>Sure 13 to 16 year old kids are riding out to Keef...That's
>what teenagers do...

>I'm not mad at that....
>
>I'm more upset with grown ass black folks who should know
>better than to be championing this bullshit...
>
>And I'm especially mad at grown ass white cultural bloggers
>and fellow magazine/music writers backing the Chief Keefs and
>Trinidad James' of the world...But at least James is
>harmless...He's "funny" in that, ig-nant ass bamma way...

Obviously there has to be an appeal because someone likes it; it's not as if hipsters/cultural* bloggers, etc..buy records. They download them or get to review em for free. When someone cracked on Trini James being an internet only phenom DJ Ristic pointed out its one of his hottest records in real life based off his last few parties. Kanye West bogarded 'I Don't Like' and it was a huge hit earlier in the year...

I just can't see how we draw the line here with the Chief Keef of the worlds when Mobb Deep were sprewing the same nonsense around the same age. Just because rappers now are all in their mid 30's doesn't mean that teenagers weren't killing each other on wax (and rapping about it) years ago.

I just find it hypocritical for us to be like, 'Chief Keef'...artistically bereft music that contributes to the downfall of society!

When we were debating N.W.A's non-nomination to the Rock N Roll Hall of fame, lol. What was their positive contribution to the world lyrically outside of catchy rape songs if we have to judge music based on it's morals?

This Chief Keef album sucks because well, it just sucks, but his 'Back from the Dead' mixtape from earlier in the year deserved the buzz. The jury remains out on Trini-James, but 'All Gold Everything' is a great song with stiff, but memorable, lines.

I just don't see how we as hip-hop fans can get on our Tipper Gore.