Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: yeah, I think it's brilliant.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=168776&mesg_id=168800
168800, RE: yeah, I think it's brilliant.
Posted by Jrod Indigo, Fri Dec-12-14 05:00 PM
I knew this title would be the ultimate "hater-bait" for the usual haters that are so dedicated and committed to hating on everything this man does (and doesn't do). The title is much deeper than the average simpleton/internet troll can comprehend and I know exactly where D is going with all of this. It's making a bold statement about black people in the USA and the fact many believe that black people in this country and worldwide are the true Tribe of Judah..(as was Christ the Messiah). Though in D's case..it's more hardcore (Yahweh Yahshua) based upon his spiritual upbringing and in saying this..I truly don't believe the title is on some narcissistic shit. There's a good reason why he chose to use 1000 Deaths w/Brother Malcom's speech as the trailer music. If you listen closely to some of the mumbled lyrics to the original demo of 1000 Deaths, then you'll totally get it (even though there are only a few lyrics you can actually make out). The brother is a lot deeper than most people are aware of and if in fact you have a soul, then it'll make sense to you. Unfortunately, most heads on "Okayhater" wasn't born with one and that of course makes it virtually impossible for them to look past the exterior because he's always judged and criticized by the haters for his laziness, addictions, dysfunctions, and lack of output over the years. And yeah...dude is probably a real character that lives up to all of that. But so was Sly, Marvin, George, and some of his other musical heroes. Genius cats are kinda bugged and with their talent comes all of these other things that puts them in a questionable light at times, but i take them as they are and i don't expect them to live up to any expectations I have of them. And of course just like with Voodoo, a lot of heads are not gonna get what he's on musically with this new album. But best believe..it's gonna be one of the best, most soulful and uncompromising albums ever made within the last 25 years or so. All those early Funkadelic albums that's he's been so heavily influenced by all these years away from the spotlight were on that same vibration and they packed some serious socio-political messages regarding black people in this country. Also, peep the recent GQ interview with Dave Chappelle where he briefly talks about D's radical outgoing message on his answering machine. I don't care what anyone says.."Black Messiah" is a DOPE and very fitting title for this next lp because I firmly believe that title alone is making a bold statement about the state of black music and black people in this country; especially with songs like 1000 Deaths and The Charade. With all this madness surrounding Eric Garner, Mike Brown, Trayvon, along with all this bullshit on the radio and especially on the net, people need some light and salvation and D wants to bring thru his music. You gotta admit...dude is sorely missed; regardless of all that other shit people always be trippin' on concerning him. I don't believe D thinks he himself is some messiah of any sort, but the title seems to come off like a metaphor and a desire to have his music to reach the ones that can be reached. Contrary to what many may think, real black music is a dying art form on the overground (mainstream) and he's truly one of the last of the greats who can help keep the torch lit in this game. And real talk, a lot of you nothing ass mf's on here hating on dude are like some of his biggest fans because if you weren't..then you wouldn't spend so much time on here finding the most creative ways to nitpick and tear his shit down all day/everyday. That shit gets old after a while and it always stir these bs debates about how unproductive and washed up this guy is. But I'm willing to bet anything that most of you mf's will be owning a copy of the lp when it drops; be it you going out to cop it with your own $ or you coming up on a bootleg copy. And of course once you've given it a good listen you're naturally gonna go in on him because the album doesn't live up to your bs expectations. The haters are still gonna hate because they (in truth) are nothing but overzealous music fans whose entire existence centers around tearing down others who secretly wish they could do what D does..(truth).

With that said, go on 'head D and do your thing good brother and know that I myself and MANY others are so looking forward to this new chapter.