Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectA couple additional thoughts:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=167752&mesg_id=168079
168079, A couple additional thoughts:
Posted by cidolfas, Mon Jul-15-13 06:11 PM
1. It's a sign of the times that the album officially dropped July 8 for non-Samsung users, but we've already cemented our collective feelings about the album in only a week. Although this isn't an entirely new process, I wish we'd take more time to let albums sink in with our most-anticipated, over-hyped artists.

2. I'm wondering if Nas and Jay have both made a concerted effort to mention Big and Pac on most of their albums. The references on MCHG and LIG both felt very natural, but it has happened so consistently it almost feels that they have decided it's almost their duty to keep them alive through their music. (Would Pac and Big have done the same if they were the ones still going?) Any thoughts on this?

3. Overall, after many listens, this is still a very good record. Beats and rhymes. Jay is flowing his ass off, and lyrically, songs like "Oceans" are among his best work ever. I've added "Glory" and "Open Letter" to my official copy to round things out. I think all things considered, MCHG's an 7.5-8.5/10 and falls somewhere in the middle of Jay's discography.