Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subject4-star album, IMO
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=167752&mesg_id=167985
167985, 4-star album, IMO
Posted by Ketchums, Fri Jul-05-13 07:23 PM
Sure, it doesn't have the depth, insight or candidness of Reasonable Doubt or Blueprint, but there's something to be said for execution. His stunting raps are still dope, the conceptual songs are still pretty solid as far as how they deliver the concepts (even if they aren't "deep"), the flows are on point, he's still got some really rewindable lines with double/triple-entendres, and the production is dope.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see him be even more thoughtful too, but hopefully, people don't act like it's a weak album just because it isn't philosophical and ish. It's not envelope-pushing, but it's still quality rap music at the end of the day. This, especially compared to albums like BP3 and Kingdom Come, is a project where he brings everything together really well.

As much as I want Jay to be more thoughtful/insightful, I really just need to accept the fact that he isn't Nas, Kendrick Lamar, old Talib, etc. That's just not who he is. He's still a well-rounded artist either way. On his songs like that, I'll just enjoy the cleverness and the concept execution - because both of those are always going to be on point - and be on my way.

But I'm already noticing the type of great lines and double-entendres that I depend on Jay for.