Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectyea, but the days of recording budgets are over
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=162476&mesg_id=162480
162480, yea, but the days of recording budgets are over
Posted by __Spread__, Fri Jan-14-11 12:25 PM
cats don't even record in the same studios anymore, if they even use actual studios...I feel like a lot of the production teams, musical families and bands of the 60's, 70's and 80's came about because there were cats on the same record label spending days and weeks in the same studio while the record company foot the bill...You also had great studio musicians like Bernard Purdy, Joe Sample, Ray Parker, Idris Muhammed, etc to give many different groups a similar sound...Talk shit about record labels all you want but no way Luther Vandross sings backup vocals for David Bowie without good ol' RCA...I know that particular collab is not what this post is about but it is an extreme example of what was possible when the record labels, studios and music industry had money...
I'm not saying it is impossible for these talented artists to form supergroups on their own, but there was a culture of collaboration in the music industry of the past...now almost everything you hear released is a product of multiple overdubs...the only time studios record full bands anymore is the case of jazz bands or classical music...
And where are the venues for these artists to collab besides the studio? Sometimes you might see an artist in NY or LA and they have some special guests come on stage with them and jam or play an improv tune or something...but it rarely happens anymore like it used to...it funny hte only artist that is really still doing the after-set all-star jam session thing anymore is PRINCE and he started all this studio virtuoso shit...actually I gotta give props to ?uestlove too for TRYING at least to get great artists together on the regular