Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectI meant to reply to this a long time ago ...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=156487&mesg_id=156573
156573, I meant to reply to this a long time ago ...
Posted by Amritsar, Thu May-05-11 09:51 AM
don't understand the hate for this post, you're not discrediting the south at all, just inferring that it had more to offer us. Pimp C was saying the exact same thing in his classic Atlanta interview, the sensational headlines from that interview were about him dissing the ATL, but his real underlying point was that the new south had reverted to rapper archetypes and caricatures based on the giants of the past. He wanted to bring the subjective back into southern rap the way Goodie Mob did with the gospel/church infusion in their style; not saying everybody has to bring that specific style, but the gospel in Goodie Mob was subjective, it separated them from anybody else the way UGK's use of live instruments did.

Pimp C was prophetic in that interview when he warned that if the styles didn't switch up, and bring back the originality the south is known for, the hip hop community would shift its focus to another region — to some extent it already has.

Another point that really lends credence to this post is examining the number of classic albums that came out of a region during that region's dominant period. With the south it feels as if all of the classic albums (SPCM, Soul Food, Comin out Hard, etc) were prematurely birthed before the region blew up on a national level in the early 00's. And during the south's dominance all we got was a bunch of singles with not many memorable albums to date.

>even artists are scared to say it because everytime you ask
>one of them about newer artists from their region (except
>Scarface, dude will tell you in a heartbeat as a whole these
>new niggas ain't doing it) all they can say is 'I'm glad
>they're successful' which seems like an attempt to not step on
>someone's toes or hurt future business relations

Scarface does keep it real, but I feel like Bun B has been rather complicit in some of this. He's not totally at fault tho, because if Pimp hadn't died his career would still have direction, he wouldn't need to be on every joe schmo's guest spot.