Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectI disagree
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=156487&mesg_id=156559
156559, I disagree
Posted by csuave03, Thu May-05-11 12:40 AM
I mean I understand it to a certain extent because the biggest stars in southern rap (e.g. Rick Ross, Waka Flocka, Gucci) are continuing to deliver banal lyrics to listeners, which does not correlate with what Andre said (if you interpreted it as 'southern rappers can provide originality through quality lyricism'). So if you expected the south to be more supreme than any other region in terms of rap music then yeah, Andre lied.

However, mainstream rap in general, not just regionally, has become devoid of originality. So no one really has anything to say (in the mainstream © Outkast).

In contrast, If you extend the scope beyond mainstream rap, there are plenty of southern rappers who have 'something to say.' Krit, Chamillionaire, Little Brother, and Jay Electronica to name a few.

I'm sure that many older New York rappers feel that the contemporary popular rappers from their respective region are mundane and subpar just as the older southern rappers feel about their new rappers.

While I do agree that most popular rappers deliver similar subject matter, this isn't just a southern issue, its mainstream rap period. There are plenty of innovative southern MCs, that don't get their respect because the masses do not want to hear 'unconventional' lyrics and dismiss a lot of it as boho rap.