Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subject"The South" didn't make good on its promise
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=156487&mesg_id=156487
156487, "The South" didn't make good on its promise
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Sun May-01-11 02:25 PM
or should I say, Andre 3ooo's promise
for those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, at the 95 Source Awards OutKast won the award for Best New Group
this caused an indoors shitstorm which resulted in Dre saying "The South got something to say"
having said that, it's become painfully obvious that there has been a lot of wasted potential as far as The South running shit for the past 1o years or so, in fact you could say everything they started has been put in reverse to a degree (live instruments over sampling/synths, innovative flows, heady but easily relatable subject matter)
even artists are scared to say it because everytime you ask one of them about newer artists from their region (except Scarface, dude will tell you in a heartbeat as a whole these new niggas ain't doing it) all they can say is 'I'm glad they're successful' which seems like an attempt to not step on someone's toes or hurt future business relations
so while rappers are more successful now than ever, there's not much in the way of innovation
(also there are no more groups, just loose collectives that rotate members in and out and whoever the public latches onto will make his own collective and the cycle contiues for as long as non-rapping niggers can stand it)
but there's no need to because the key is sounding just like everyone else while giving off enuff of yourself so nobody buys the other guy's record by mistake (which even that wouldn't be such a bad thing because these niggers are all over one another's albums now)